8cam's 97 turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New stuff arrived today. Wit's End fire extinguisher mount and Delta panhard lift bracket. Both are beautifully made and both will get installed this weekend. Thanks @NLXTACY and @Delta VS for the quality products!

B715846C-7C4E-4247-8EF5-0F277D797062_1_105_c.jpeg

For something with only three bolts, this was a bitch to install. The holes are pretty tight tolerances and getting everything to line up takes a lot of effort. Delta's instructions are excellent, and the quality is very high, which is why those holes are so tight - they are supposed to be. But working solo with pry bars, a drift and a big hammer, I finally got it installed. I had to fit it several times before I got the right combination. For me, I had to fit the upper left bolt through the panhard bar first. It was the most difficult to get right. Once it was through, then getting the lower left bolt installed wasn't too hard. Still had to pry things around until everything line up. With those two in, installing the upper bolt was a breeze. Delta includes a couple washers to use as spacers to ensure a tight fit, but for me I used the old single washer from the original bolt. It's thicker and was the perfect size for a spacer.

No test drive yet, we have friends over now and the bloody marys are going down, so a drive will wait for tomorrow. I'm glad it's in, and everyone is telling me what a difference it will make.

Before - jackstands supporting the frame, tires still on the ground.

E6C2D27B-43A5-44A5-B803-76E55BF464DC_1_105_c.jpeg

After. Supporting its own weight. Wore my old ass out.

B50D291D-73ED-4A1D-8FD7-729459B1A852_1_105_c.jpeg

And just as beautifully made and a much easier install, the Wit's End fire extinguisher bracket, under the front passenger seat. Pro tip here, figure out where the mounting bracket will attach to the WE bracket first and bolt it up. Then bolt in the WE bracket to the seat mount location. This gets the extinguisher out of the back and in a place where it doesn't get in the way. Love it.

B4FD98AD-E7AC-444C-8948-CCE4C522416F_1_105_c.jpeg

I've had a chance to drive about 100 miles since I installed the Delta panhard lift bracket and all I can say is WOW what a difference. Installation is a weird combination of muscle and finesse to get those 3 bolts installed correctly, but once it's done it makes a huge difference. The truck has always had a feeling of the tail wagging the dog and that is completely gone. Now it feels like it moves as a single unit and seems much more stable. My wife has never liked riding or driving it because she says it feels tippy, like we're always going to tip over. Well she said it's so much better now, she doesn't mind riding or driving it any more.

If you have a lifted truck you need this update.

Ever have one of those wrenching days where it just seems like nothing goes your way? Today I planned on installing a new Sequoia alternator using @Photoman 's bracket kit. I knew from my experience replacing the belts that it wouldn't be an easy job, but didn't think it would be as much of a pain as it was. Nothing on his kit, it's excellent and I highly recommend it. Just takes a lot of work to get right, and of course it will lead to other stuff.

This is a job I have to get done because we're taking the 80 on a beach trip next weekend.

Here's the kit as it comes, and the new alternator. The alternator came with a serpentine pulley and I had already replaced it with Photoman's smaller pulley. That was the easiest part of the job.

IMG_8039.jpg

Getting the old alternator out was a job in itself. First task was removing the battery and battery tray, never my favorite job. I planned on moving the radiator overflow back to the original location, so I pulled the hose out...problem #1, old hose just tore in two. Then loosening everything, popping the belts off, and realizing it wouldn't come out easily. So I unbolted the power steering reservoir and moved it out of the way...problem #2. The low pressure line (which is the only one I hadn't replaced) split, pouring fluid everywhere. Great. At least with that line out of the way, I could wrestle the old alternator out of there.

IMG_8040.jpg

Of course that low pressure line wouldn't come off easily and I had to cut it. But that left me with unprecedented access to the oil filter, at least an oil change was a lot easier, so that got done too with a new filter...with the requisite mess of oil dripping, adding to the PS fluid already on the floor. Here's a comparison of the old and new alternators. You can see the difference in the new smaller pulley.

IMG_8041.jpg

At this point I took a break and went up to O'Reilly's to pick up some hoses I could use for the radiator overflow and low pressure line, and the power steering fluid I now needed. At least it was a chance to straighten up and rest my back a bit.

Once I got back, it was time to start reassembly. Bill gives an excellent set of directions along with the bracket kit, but I still had to work through it several times before I managed to get everything installed. Getting the combination of bigger alternator, all bolts connected, and belts on, took me a while to get in the right sequence. For whatever reason, the belts didn't want to go on with the alternator in place, so I ended up taking it all apart again, tipping the alternator to get the belts in place, and then using a BFS to pry the alternator out far enough to get that lower bolt installed. A real wrestling match.

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

Of course this was the point I discovered problem #3. One of my BRAND NEW belts had delaminated. Great. So it all had to come apart AGAIN. And remove the lower tray. And remove the a/c belt. And then remove the pair of alternator belts. Luckily I had another set of belts, so it was just extra work and not more purchasing. I'll keep the ones I just took off as emergency spares. One good thing that came out of it, I discovered that the a/c belt tensioner wasn't tight. Well it is now.

As of right now, I have it all back in place, loosely, and I'm tensioning the belts. Had to stop there and go out with some friends. Tomorrow I'll get the belts tight, get everything torqued, connect the electricals, replace the two hoses that split, and hopefully everything will be done. At least for the 80 that is. I also need to replace the power steering pump in the Corvette, but that's a story for a different forum.

All back together. The new alternator tests good under all load conditions (unlike the old one), and now I've got a consistent 13.4V back at my second battery. All good. Now I need to figure out exactly why I'm still popping a breaker with that battery, even without the voltage drop. Got to be something simple.

Thanks @Photoman for the quick primer on how to adjust the belt tension properly. After driving a bit I had some belt stretch and needed to tighten things up. FWIW going in through the fender well to tighten the tension bolt is WAY easier than trying to do it from the top. Just takes a long extension.

Bill's words:
Loosen the top bolt a little to let the alternator swing. Loosen the bolt (13mm) on the little slotted arm. Loosen the bolt that that goes through the square nut and alternator ear (15/16). Tighten the long bolt (13mm) that goes to the square nut to pull tension on the belts. A 13 mm ratchet wrench works for this or come in through the rubber fender skirt on the drivers side with a ratchet, socket, and extensions. It is easy to put tension on the belts with the long bolt so just use care when tightening it. After adjustment, tighten the 3 bolts that were loosened starting with the bolt on the slotted arm. The order of the other two does not matter.

One more day and then we're packing the 80 up for a beach trip! Will be the easiest trip it's taken, no offroading at all but maybe I'll get a shot of it with some sand. We were supposed to go to the Keys back in May but covid put a stop to that trip, so this is the make-up. Headed to St George Island on the Florida panhandle. Been going there for 30 years, one of my absolute favorite places on the planet. Cannot wait.

Took the 80 on a simple drive to the recycling center yesterday and after I dropped off the stuff I went back on their scales. 6200lbs which is a little heavier than I figured it would be, but still not too bad. 315 tires, front and rear bumpers, a 40 gallon tank that was mostly full, and an ARB drawer system that is pretty loaded up.

6200lbs which is a little heavier than I figured it would be, but still not too bad.
Remember heavy set gals need lovin too. My truck is right close to what yours weighs due to the winch out front and camping gear in the rear. Shes a bit slow going up hills due to all that extra weight, not good on gas mileage, but i wouldn't trade her for nothing!!

Last edited:
Remember heavy set gals need lovin too. My truck is right close to what yours weighs due to the winch out front and camping gear in the rear. Shes a bit slow going up hills due to all that extra weight, not good on gas mileage, but i wouldn't trade her for nothing!!
LOL yep. I should have mentioned the big Warn up front and the roof top tent, although my tent is pretty light at 120lbs. I figure when I'm loaded out for camping with two people I'm probably 6800 or so. A lot heavier than it looks, more than a lot of full-size trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom