1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 Full Size Blazer Power Steering

Discussion in 'GM/Chevrolet' started by hank14, Feb 25, 2007.

1. hank14

hank14

Pulling Power Steering Pulley- Chevy Full Size Blazer

I'm trying to remove the pulley from my PS pump. I bought a cheap $20.00 pulley puller from Autozone, and proceeded to mangle the end of the pulley that the puller attaches to. I have used PB Blaster for 2 days. Any secrets to this?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. RVBtruck

RVBtruck

Try some heat, use the ole torch to get her hot. I'll ruin the pump seal tho so I hope you're replacing it or the pump.

3. hank14

hank14

Yep- the reason I'm pulling it is to replace the pump seals. The pump is working great, but it has been leaky for a while. I am also thinking about either gringing the puller so it fits better, or looking for a 3-pronged puller.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

Those things are pressed in tight! If the lip is too messed up for the tool to get ahold of it then it's almost hopeless. What ever you do,don't hammer the pulley back on because that the fastest way to ruin a Saginaw pump.

5. hank14

hank14

So far I've resited the urge to bring out the heavy equipment- hammers, vice grips, etc. I haven't looked at it since Sunday.

6. hank14

hank14

Update-

I went back to Autozone and found someone who had actually removed a PS pulley before. He said I bought the wrong one (the cheapo) and needed the rental variety. Once I used it, it came of with only some general groaning. Replaced the seals and both hoses, and I think it's good to go.

I raised the front on jack stands and bled the system- it's whisper quiet and easy to steer as before. Glad to have this project finished.