1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 fj62 where from here

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by want62bad, Mar 18, 2004.

1. want62bad

want62bad

Well I finally got my first fj 62 dont have alot of history on it.Compression cked out lowest is 142 high 152. Cant see any rust but will pull interior out and clean it up.It does have a slight hesitation in trans but will drain and refill several times to clean it up :doh:I hope it will last till funds are available.My question is do I replace/repair/put in 5 spd save for v8 conversion/trans.It will be a DD with medium wheeling/camping trips and will be given a small lift not SOA,will run 33's on 1050 on 10" rims and will do disc conv on rear what else do you reccomend and why.I dont have a 500.00 car payment anymore just a repair payment now so will modify slowly paint and interior is clean small dent in qtr but I can fix that.Any help or responses will be helpful thanks Dave :D

2. Mike S

Mike S

H55F 5 speed for on the highway and down the trail, ARB lockers with onboard air (in the rear at least for good traction), then front and rear protection and driving lights.

Add OME or Alcan springs with shackles and greasable pins if you want better suspension.

If you want a V8, think again, then think again. Not saying it's bad, but it is a lot of agida for the benefits, and resale will be lower.

The rest is gravy.

Mike S

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Mike's got it allll right.

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

agree with the above. and
    8" wheels not 10's......fit better, hold a bead better and IMOP look better. I would keep drivetrain pretty stock.

H55F is a doable swap(bolt on-ish) but not as easy as on a fj60(bolt on), figure on close to 2x the cost(3-4k if ya want to done it right). The auto(A44F)is a damn good trany and works well for the kinda of use you will prolly see.

So work on suspension, locker(s) and stuff like that.

But 1st spend some time(and money) going thru the stock drivetrain making sure everything is up to snuff............the cooling, brakes, elec, tune up, lube, ect ect........

John h

5. archie

archie

Congrats on your new ride! The 62's, I've heard, has a little hesitation between shifts of 2nd to 3rd gear(according to some other owners, mine does also). Mine has 205k.