'89 FJ62- what's your favorite synthetic gear lubes for the transfer case and diffs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
as the title states....

I am going to be driving my 210,000 mile FJ62 A LOT, and I don't mind spending money on the greasy bits to keep it lasting a long time at highway speeds.....

I figure I will be money ahead with Synthetic lubes in the Diffs and the Transfer case, but correct me if I am wrong....Also, what type of grease is recommended on all grease zerk fittings? different types or each different area- please recommend what goes where (I also have OME greasable spring shackles so I would like to know what to put there).

I plan on making space on my shelf in the garage for all of my special greases/lubes/Oils and getting a few different grease guns for different greases if needed.

What are the preferred weights and specific brands/types recommended?

I can get anything from Royal Purple to Amsoil or Red line, even found some lubro moly synthetic gear lube and engine oils at a local Napa. At this point, I am happy to spend a good amount of money on longevity of my parts and a smoother, quieter rig versus saving a buck or two and having to worry or change fluids more often.

I live in East Texas and it gets VERY HOT and humid here, so keeping that in mind, what viscosity is recommended because of the temp range? It usually only gets below 30 degrees here about 2 weeks out of the year at the most....

I only currently have a very slightly noticeable high pitched whine from the transfer case at speeds above 60mph, but it is not annoying and not worrisome yet, so I assume the grease may be a bit thin in it or it has some wear for sure. The tranny (A440F) was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago, but I didn't see any repair receipts on the Transfer case in the history of receipts.

Thanks again for all the help from the Forum thus far, I didn't see a FAQ for greases and diff lubes, so I thought I would ask and see what y'all thought.

I am working on a De-Smog, and had the cats cut off and ran test pipes today, definitely freed up some power and now the engine revs above 3,000 without laboring so hard, and the truck actually lunges forward when it shifts now instead of just slowly pushing a little faster. Replaced my regulator the other day and wanted to see what type of mileage difference I get with the cats gone.

I was going to do a Dyno comparison of before and after cat-removal, but my buddy with the chassis Dyno was at the house with his wife and new born baby. If I get to move forward on a turbo project for the 3FE or even an engine swap, I will do before and after chassis dyno testing to show the real differences and not just what it should be.

know a dude who is extatic about redline in the tranny on an old motor home used to haul his dragster - he talked me into trying it out...put redline in all diff's and transmission and transfer several years ago on my '89 ford expedition at 100k - got 138k on it and the air suspension crapped out - otherwise very happy and feeling good about the metal parts that slap together - planning an overhaul of the 89 fj62 with 280+ / probably gonna go with redline or equal -

I live in North Central Texas, so I understand the heat and cold issues, you mentioned. I run Royal Purple in the motor, transfer case and the diff's. I'm planning on doing a Rodney flush in the near future and replacing the tranny fluid with Royal Purple as well. I'm real pleased with the Royal Purple, so far. I thought, I was going to have a multitude of oil leaks when I changed from dino to synthetic but luckily there wasn't any. I have no intention of getting rid of the "weekender" and like you, I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will contribute to the longevity of my 62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom