89 FJ62 Steering parts and a strange sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brechtpalombo.com
I've got an 89 FJ62 (paid $4300 20 months ago had 95k miles and everything original and clean, now has 105K) I recently put new tires/springs/shocks/etc on her OME with BF Goodrich 31s.

Everything is cool but...

My mechanic, who's a friend, tells me I need everything from the steering box to the wheels replaced. Rods, pitman arms, etc. I'm seeing a lot of ends like this -> Cruiser Outfitters but I'm coming up empty on the whole shebang. Any help on where to look or even what to call the rods between the ends so I can search would be appreciated.

The other thing that's going on is since I put the springs and lift on it's making a bit of a groaning or low rumble that sounds strained when cruising right around 1900-2000 RPMs. My buddy tells me he adjusted the gearing so it wouldn't be such a struggle to get it to shift when you step on it, which it was previously. Could these be related?

Thanks!

Usually the rods are ok and just the parts you linked to are all that is needed. However if rust is the problem you will most likely need to go to the dealer to get them. And last time I checked the rod came with ends.

I am not sure what you mean by he adjusted the gearing. This noise is only related to engine rpm and not vehicle speed? More info is needed.

Rust is the problem sadly. I'll try a dealer, loathe to think what it will cost if that's the answer.

The sound is most pronounced under 40MPH and it doesn't sound like tires. At highway speeds it's totally gone. In terms of what he did he said he 'made an adjustment in the gearbox'. Maybe that doesn't make sense.

Most likely he adjusted the kick down cable on the transmission, which just controls how quickly the transmission down shifts under throttle. I think you mentioned that you lifted the cruiser, if so you may be hearing more tire noise since more of the tire is below the wheel well and not in the wheel well as it would be at stock height.

One more thing you way want to look at JT Outfitters for you steering parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom