‘89 FJ62 randomly stalled and now won’t start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1989 FJ62 with 254k miles. Have had it 10 years.

Carried out my normal morning routine this morning. Live in the mountains where it’s winter/cold right now, so went out to start my truck to let it run for 10-15 minutes before driving it. It started fine.

Go back inside to wrap up a few things, come out to go to work and the truck isn’t running. thought i just forgot to start it in my morning fogginess. got in, started it, threw it in to gear, got about 100 yards. it died and won’t start. gets close but won’t catch.

i had noticed that i was getting reduced power the last few weeks, especially in lower gears. may be unrelated but figured it was worth mentioning.

any thoughts on this one? fuel filter? fuel pump?

any insight is very much appreciated as i pushed it into a parking spot that it can not stay in for very long.

thanks!

pat

1989 FJ62 with 254k miles. Have had it 10 years.

Carried out my normal morning routine this morning. Live in the mountains where it’s winter/cold right now, so went out to start my truck to let it run for 10-15 minutes before driving it. It started fine.

Go back inside to wrap up a few things, come out to go to work and the truck isn’t running. thought i just forgot to start it in my morning fogginess. got in, started it, threw it in to gear, got about 100 yards. it died and won’t start. gets close but won’t catch.

i had noticed that i was getting reduced power the last few weeks, especially in lower gears. may be unrelated but figured it was worth mentioning.

any thoughts on this one? fuel filter? fuel pump?

any insight is very much appreciated as i pushed it into a parking spot that it can not stay in for very long.

thanks!

pat
I had a similar issue a few months back that turned out to be a sticking egr valve. If everything else looks ok, (fuel filter, air filter, ignition stuff, etc.), then giving the egr valve a few taps with a hammer and drift/punch to break it loose might help.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a few months back that turned out to be a sticking egr valve. If everything else looks ok, (fuel filter, air filter, ignition stuff, etc.), then giving the egr valve a few taps with a hammer and drift/punch to break it loose might help.
Thanks for the reply. Tried this last night and unfortunately it didn't work. I'l have to look elsewhere to fix the issue.

Fuel Pressure Regulator 88-92 (23280-61010-A)

I replaced mine. And the vacuum line which was a little stiff. And at the same time I replaced all the vacuum lines.

Thank you - how would I best test this?

Would this be a replacement situation or a cleaning situation?

I believe only a replacement situation. People have used the Standard Motor Products version. Also the Kyosan W0133-1743784 for a '91-'95 2.2 MR2. I believe those are out of stock everywhere. Also straight from Japan for $140 + shipping (may or may not actually be in stock from Megazip).

I believe only a replacement situation. People have used the Standard Motor Products version. Also the Kyosan W0133-1743784 for a '91-'95 2.2 MR2. I believe those are out of stock everywhere. Also straight from Japan for $140 + shipping (may or may not actually be in stock from Megazip).
Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately this is the fuel pump. Not getting any action with the paper clip test. fuel filter is also pretty gone. Looking forward to whatever benefits my lie on the other side of this work.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately this is the fuel pump. Not getting any action with the paper clip test. fuel filter is also pretty gone. Looking forward to whatever benefits my lie on the other side of this work.
Well, that's a relatively easy fix at least. The Denso fuel pump is widely available, unlike the FPR.

Did you check power to the pump? Also check the ground on the body behind the rear bumper and the connectors in the drivers side rear quarter panel.

For what it’s worth, dropping the tank isn’t incredibly difficult. Disconnect electrical connectors under the cover in the trunk. Remove the spare tire and the spare tire mount. Remove the rear sway bar. Disconnect the fuel filler hose and the 5 evap hoses to the tank in the passenger side. Then disconnect the fuel line and return at the front of the tank. All that’s left is to undo the strap bolts and shimmy the tank out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom