89 FJ62 License Plate Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a dead license plate light. PO added 2 lights - not sure why but none of the lights work - including the OEM lights. The PO cut off the connector on the wire coming from the harness. Then he proceeded to splice the wire to the 2 lights that were added. I am going to remove the added lights but still need to trace the problem. When the lights are on, I get power to the tail lights, turn lights and backup lights. The wiring diagram indicates that there is a "JUNCTION CONNECTOR". Where exactly is this connector? Is this the correct place to begin the trace for the license plate light?
Thanks so much for your help. I LOVE this forum!!

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

looks like youre missing this entire piece...altho not sure 62s had it part #81270-95A09

1644377666957.png

well ..........

its oblivious , that the Jerry Rigged truck stop small chrome lamps are related to your large OEM light bar NOT working ,

otherwise they would not have been installed in the first place right ?

so the issue is diagnosed by it self more or less

now to make the repairs and re-install the rear oem tag lamps bar garnish

- Your Tag Lamps B+ and or NEG- GROUND wires are severed at the Tail gate Drop down point pivot where the hinges fold up and down

- Fatigue and stress AGE and Time take its toll there

place to begin

good luck

IIRCC the OEM setup has 1 wire coming into the tailgate which is the positive, it uses the hinges as a ground to the body.
you could run another wire for a ground which takes the ground thru the hinges out of the equation.
the other issue is the single wire can and will break as it bends from opening and closing the tailgate.

If you need a ground there's one just above where the wire for the license plate light pass from under the body, through the body to the tail gate. The OEM set up, IIRC, grounds via the screws of the chrome license plate insert. The connector in question is the large blue one in the rear drivers side wheel well just below the rear washer fluid bag. From this connector it branches off to multiple places, top hatch via the D pillar, Drivers side rear lights and the lower tail gate and passengers side rear light pass through a grommet and are hung underneath the cruiser on the very back part of the body.

If you're worry about the wire needing to flex and not break, due to the action for opening and closing the tail gate I'd recommend get some silicon coated wire. It's super flexible and you can order it off of amazon.

1644419988992.png

As ToyotaMatt suggests, I would start with the wire coming to the lamp(s) and work backwards. The picture below, taken from ebay shows the one wire going to the lamps. You should be looking for the single supply wire inside the tailgate. Then, start working backwards with a power probe. The wire into the tail gate comes in at the bottom center.

Thanks guys - all answers have been extremely helpful. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see if I can do it.

As ToyotaMatt suggests, I would start with the wire coming to the lamp(s) and work backwards. The picture below, taken from ebay shows the one wire going to the lamps. You should be looking for the single supply wire inside the tailgate. Then, start working backwards with a power probe. The wire into the tail gate comes in at the bottom center.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

well ..........

its oblivious , that the Jerry Rigged truck stop small chrome lamps are related to your large OEM light bar NOT working ,

otherwise they would not have been installed in the first place right ?

so the issue is diagnosed by it self more or less

now to make the repairs and re-install the rear oem tag lamps bar garnish

- Your Tag Lamps B+ and or NEG- GROUND wires are severed at the Tail gate Drop down point pivot where the hinges fold up and down

- Fatigue and stress AGE and Time take its toll there

place to begin

good luck
Do you have a pic of the area where the negative ground wire is attached. I don't see anything on the hinges. Obviously, it makes your point that a ground wire is broken or missing.

no , i do not sorry ......

but the all knowing Oracle of the 60 / /62 series @3_puppies will know ! :)

his TECH WAGS on TECH related topic are the best in town

matt

the original light assembly uses 1wire which is your +voltage
the ground uses the body of the tailgate thru the hinges to the main body
what happens is the hinges get old and some rust forms in the pin of the hinge thus losing your ground.
you make your own wire from the tailgate to the main body or frame to create your own path to ground to complete the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom