'89 FJ62 Air Conditioning, no electrical power to fan or compressor switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
The title about says it all. Stock 62, stock AC. Still R-12. Blows pretty cold for an old truck. I have replaced the blower before and the resistor before. I have the FSM. I realize there is an AC fuse (good) and a heater breaker (not a blown breaker) Fuse and breaker are behind the fuse panel.

So I have no power to the fan and the AC button doesn't light up like it did.

I also realize there are two relays and an amplifier.

Before it went out for good, some times when really hot, like after a quick stop and the heat soak had set in, the AC had no power as in nothing. I operated the switch back a forth a couple times and it would power up.

This is a DD truck. I like to shut down all electrical before killing the engine and bringing the systems back on again one at a time once fired back up. (like a pilot would in an airplane)

Battery is good, Alt is new Toyota Reman, Fuse-able links were rebuilt by a 40's forum member coolerman.

So i think I have a relay that has gone out.

With ignition on, and AC off, if I move the fan from off to low, there is a faint but definite click under the drivers footwell. I assume that would be one of the relays. I understand the AC system is a major electrical draw.

I need help identifying which relays are related to the system and how to check them if they are good or not.

I have power to all my other systems but I'm not saying a fusible link didn't fry, but which one do I look at?

My truck is at the shop and the FSM is there too. The guy just isn't getting to it so it's time for me to take control and fix it myself

Any help, much appreciated. It was 109 degrees in Oklahoma today. Tied an all time state record.

thanks,

OK,
May be my question was vague. My I didn't explain my symptoms well. Simply, maybe no-one had the answer.

My Problem lied in the Heater relay. Part no. 85913-30020.

it is located behind the fuse box up with the other relays.

My relay had rust and debris in it.

I have a water leak, possibly due to a bad windshield seal or possibly from the rain gutter. When it rains hard, I get drips on my left knee from the grab handle on the A pillar.

I don't think I have water dripping on my relay area but I could have water that runs to the relays via the wiring in the A pillar area.

Anyways, the heater relay powers the blower fan and with out that power, no power goes to the AC clutch to power the AC system.

Hopefully this will help anyone down the road.

I have a feeling that's where I'm getting most of if seeing that it leaks through the grab handle on the A pillar. What sealant did you use?

Hey, can you point me to the heater relay? Seems like I have accidentally blown it yesterday. I can locate the relays under the steering wheel but I dont know which one is for the heater. I have three round and three square ones down there.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom