89 BMW e30 5.0 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It started as an 89 i automatic that i am almost finished installing a engine and trans from a 93 LX 5.0 t5 car that i bought complete.

I still have a bit of finishing work including exhaust from the cat back, cooling fan, and throtle cable but all of the hard work is done.

IMG_2508-600.jpg
IMG_2513-600.jpg
IMG_3204-600.jpg

Last edited:
Let's get that thing out on the track and see what it'll do!

This was the first test fit. It all fit in place fairly well once i removed the brake Booster and Master.
IMG_2564-600.jpg
IMG_2575-600.jpg

Like I said, there was no way it was fitting with the stock brake booster so I sourced some 94 540 parts. The firewall bracket, linkage, booster and master are all BMW parts but i did have to modify it a bit to get it out of the way of the AC compressor. I also had to move the ABS module to the 318 battery tray location and re run all the hard lines and wiring but it wasn't very painful.
IMG_3103-600.jpg
IMG_3107-600.jpg
IMG_3108-600.jpg

Engine mounts and Trans Cross-member. I also had to modify the oil pan and pickup to clear the front sub-frame.
IMG_3118-600.jpg
IMG_3119-600.jpg
IMG_3120-600.jpg

The radiator is an eBay e36 aluminum unit that I had to swap the ports on to match the 5.0 water outlets. I also installed an upper radiator hose fill cap. I plan to run the stock AC condenser and pusher fan, but i will play that by ear as I drive it and work the bugs out.
IMG_3204-600.jpg
IMG_3205-600.jpg

Exhaust

The exhaust starts with 2 passenger side shorty headers. The driver pointed forward and the passenger pointed back. The driver routs around the front, over the sub-frame and under the motor mount then Ys into the pass side header just past the starter. After that its a single 2 1/2" pipe out the back.

I had to shorten the #8 primary to clear the brake parts but other than that the headers fit with room to spare.
IMG_2901-600.jpg

The original diff was an open 4.11 so i decided to swap to a more V8 friendly ratio. I would prefer a 3.40 ish but you have to pay for those. I was able to find a 2.93 LSD at the pull apart for ~$25 so I couldn't pass it up. Which is incidentally still a shorter gear than the stock 5.0 mustang (2.73).

I also bought an axu rear diff mount to help control the extra torque.
IMG_3277-600.jpg
IMG_3278-600.jpg
IMG_3283-600.jpg

Did you at least port the stock manifold or are you going for more of a daily driver?

Isn't the 5.0 a joy of 80's efi technology to work with?

I'm in the middle of an H/C/I swap on my ugly 89 LX.

The 5.0 is stock for now. Once i drive the car a bit and get the bugs worked out, I will pull it apart again for an engine and trans rebuild.

It will get AL heads, a good intake and cam. 300-350hp range

Update: the engine turned out to have a dead valve so after driving the car for a week I pulled everything back out for a rebuild.

The trans got a complete rebuild as well as the engine.

The engine now has steel GT40 heads and a ford motorsports E cam. I'm guessing it will be in the 250hp/300tq range w the stock intakes but should be closer to 300/300 w a good intake.

Update:

Couldn't bring myself to reinstall the stock intake so i picked up a ebay Explorer intake w/ 60mm t-body and got an egr spacer to match.

As it sits its .030 over, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 60mm t-body and spacer, 24lb injectors and a 24lb maf housing.

Completely rebuilt T5.

I rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder bracket and it works much better now.

ABS wiring has been extended so it all works again.

Installed a set of Black Sport Seats and a CD player and speakers

H&R Sport springs w/ Bilstein Sport shocks, new control arms w/ m3 rubber bushings, adj urethane trailing arm bushings, new ft wheel bearings

All new brake calipers and street pads.

I also blew up the heater core because i forgot to install the restrictor and the flow was apparently a bit much at red-line. That has been fixed but the driver carpet is still drying.

Overall I love the car. Its very civil around town but continues to pull relentlessly at highway speed especially w/ the 2.93 rear end.
IMG_3615-600.jpg
IMG_4096-600.jpg
IMG_4093-600.jpg

Nice Michael!

I am going to pick up my AC hoses this week so that I can finish up the AC and make the car driveable in the summer. It also looks like i need a larger radiator or fan. It runs at 190 as long as the ambient temps are 90 or less. Once it gets above that it will start to creep towards 215 in stop and go traffic.

either way here are a few misc pics.
IMG_4099-600.jpg
IMG_4098-600.jpg
IMG_4097-600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom