88 toyota truck steering into 73 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 1988 toyota extracab truck that is shot out.My nephew burnt up the transmission and the engine.Can I swap the power steering into my 73 fj40?Also are there any other good parts to hang onto like the gas tank,axles etc.(it is a 4wd).After I was done getting all the parts off we are hauling her out to my farm for some .50 caliber rifle practice.Don't want to shoot anything worth saving.Any help would be great.Thanks,Doublegun.

I used the power steering gear box out of an 87 toy PU.

It's worked real well for me and I'm running 35" tires.

Out_of_the_Garage_3.jpg

How did you address the spring hitting the pitman arm when the spring compresses?
Where is the shock tower? Did you remove it for clarity or have to remove it to get clearance for the steering shaft? Speaking of the steering shaft did you consider where it's going to go if you should hit something immovable?

dgangle said:
How did you address the spring hitting the pitman arm when the spring compresses?

The spring at full compression left about 2 inches of clearance to the pitman arm.

I have since started a shackle reversal and I will definitely need properly placed bump stops now.

dgangle said:
Where is the shock tower? Did you remove it for clarity or have to remove it to get clearance for the steering shaft?

I had to rework the shock tower for clearance. As a temp fix I cut out the web of the tower out and moved the tower out 1" for clearance. Ford shock towers would take care of this problem also.

dgangle said:
Speaking of the steering shaft did you consider where it's going to go if you should hit something immovable?

Yes I did. I consider what I have in place as no worse then what was originally there. I do have in my possession a GM tilt steering wheel and a slip shaft /rag joint that will soon find it's way into the cruiser. I don't really want to be impaled on a stabbing shaft, but I couldn't and still can't afford to make all the improvements at one time. :)

I have to say I am really happy with how well the IFS toy power steering box works. With the stock FJ40 steering wheel it takes no effort to turn the 35" tires. I even had to replace the stock tie rod with a bigger stronger tube. The stock rod bent into a nice big smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom