'88 Toyota Blizzard Wagon Turbo Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got this Toyota diesel from Japan in need of some aggressive power with larger turbo diesel.
Are their any respectful shops in the Bay Area California.
I'm aware of turbo 4BT and the 800lbs that come with it.
Seen a diesel build on YouTube making more power than 4BT and much lighter eng.
Anyone have idea's out here.

IMG_0050.JPG

I would suggest talking with Valley Hybrids and Mudrak. While not true bay area, they are not too far off. They both have decades of experience behind them.

Mudrak Custom Cruisers Sonoma, CA

Valley Hybrids

That's a sweet looking rig! How much does it weigh??

Last edited:
I'm not really sure about the weight, it's probably close to 2000 or less.
Thanks for the info Mudrak Custom Cruisers.
Are they known for good work at fair prices?
I'll check them out when returning from vacation.
I don't think Sonoma is too far from me.
I would suggest talking with Valley Hybrids and Mudrak. While not true bay area, they are not too far off. They both have decades of experience behind them.

Mudrak Custom Cruisers Sonoma, CA

Valley Hybrids

That's a sweet looking rig! How much does it weigh??
ally sure

So it's a 2L-T now right?

5L is a bolt in conversion and people get impressive power out of those these days. You could also do 1KZ.

Depending on what gearbox it has you could look at an Isuzu 4JB1 or similar. In Taiwan there are many people running all of the boost with compound turbos into those.

The Daihatsu version had a 2.8TD. It's a heavier duty engine than the Toyota L series but it's very old school. IDI, non crossflow head, inline pump, pushrods, all iron. I don't think there's a lot of power potential in these.

FWIW a diesel Rocky/daihatsu is just under 1700kg, these are a bigger and heavier duty car than a lot of people give them credit for.

Does it have decent power?

The VW TDI is used in the Jetta, Golf and Passats in NA. Newer Audis use them as well.
In Europe maybe some other vehicles.
Many people have put them in to VW vans with much success.
I think there is at least one member here on Mud that put one in a 4runner.
They have decent power, and from what i have read they are easily modded for more power.

My brother in law put a 2002 vw tdi engine in his Toyota mini truck which is probably equal to your weight and that thing has crazy power and economy. If they made a non electronic version of the v10 I'd put it in my 80. The v10 is rare to say the least. Look hard at the vw kits for samurais. It's pretty much what your got size wise. It's a great size for you and very very available.
g

I think that a VW TDI engine is a good route in a small vehicle. They are incredibly reliable, can put out quite good power for a small vehicle like the Blizzard, and have great fuel efficiency. My family are TDI lovers, we have had 2 1Z's, an AHU, an ALH, a BEW and a BHW. If you want good efficiency, get a 1Z, AHU or ALH. If you want huge torque, get a BHW. The 2.0 BHW makes 134hp and 247tq stock, and there is lots of aftermarket support for more.

I think that a VW TDI engine is a good route in a small vehicle. They are incredibly reliable, can put out quite good power for a small vehicle like the Blizzard, and have great fuel efficiency. My family are TDI lovers, we have had 2 1Z's, an AHU, an ALH, a BEW and a BHW. If you want good efficiency, get a 1Z, AHU or ALH. If you want huge torque, get a BHW. The 2.0 BHW makes 134hp and 247tq stock, and there is lots of aftermarket support for more.
Thanks for the help
I'll look into it ASAP

What do you know about the Blizzard Wagon?

That you will probably lose most of the good points of the Blizzard with an oversize/torqued engine. The best way to go fast in these is with the factory 2litre petrol engine. I think its one Toyota high performance car engines. I saw one on a treacherous winter beach getting out of trouble and it was impressive.
But if the one you have bought has a reasonable body, I would leave it at is. They are getting scarce now.
But if it has to a more powerful diesel, I would keep it all Toyota. 3L , 5L , 1KZ .

That you will probably lose most of the good points of the Blizzard with an oversize/torqued engine. The best way to go fast in these is with the factory 2litre petrol engine. I think its one Toyota high performance car engines. I saw one on a treacherous winter beach getting out of trouble and it was impressive.
But if the one you have bought has a reasonable body, I would leave it at is. They are getting scarce now.
But if it has to a more powerful diesel, I would keep it all Toyota. 3L , 5L , 1KZ .
Thank you for your info,
This vehicle must be rare as you said I received a few offers online in a short time
This has the 2LT engine seems sluggish,
The body is solid, rust free
I'll have it painted after vacation
Also wanted to put larger wheels
I'll post progress within next several months
Talking to a shop near Stockton Ca
About upgrades
Thanks again
Ed

If you have lofty power/performance goals, then I don't think you should stay Toyota on the engine swap, you'll spend too much $$ to get where you want to go.

Look into if the VW TDI's will get you where you need to be, they're compact and light (compared to a 4BT), well priced, and well supported. I think it would be a good match for this relatively light 4x4.

A big, heavy, 4BT would ruin this vehicle IMO.

If you have lofty power/performance goals, then I don't think you should stay Toyota on the engine swap, you'll spend too much $$ to get where you want to go.

Look into if the VW TDI's will get you where you need to be, they're compact and light (compared to a 4BT), well priced, and well supported. I think it would be a good match for this relatively light 4x4.

There's one on www.gumtree.com.au with a general motors Buick v6.
Looks a nice conversion.
Thanks, i'll definately look into something lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom