'88 FJ62 on CL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If someone were to get that to part it out, I'd be interested in the front axle parts (shafts, birfields, and everything from the knuckle outwards), the entire power steering system, and the transfer case.

And in everything Kevin sez that I need but don't know about yet :)

PM with a price, please.

Darn, sounded so easy.

Gez, what's next AC?:hillbilly:

IIRC the FJ60 pump is on the drivers side, you want the pump/hoses from a 3FE, passenger side.

The early pumps are slipper type (weak), only have a bushing that wears and is not serviced. Likely stout enough for the job, but if the job is going to be done, why mess around? The later one is vane type, stronger, easier to build and has a bearing that is easy to replace. The early type mounts right where the air cleaner is, the 3FE type mount on the other side. My guess is the whole setup from a 91-92 FJ80 would mount the easiest and have great power for the application.

This type of pump: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/189188-fj80-ps-pump-stock-ps.html

Other than the bolt pattern on the 60 boxes, are there any major differences?

Don't know that the bolt pattern differs, for this application it wouldn't matter? The '80 box has a flat pitman, making spring to linkage clearance easier. Not sure, but have heard that the '80 box has a bigger bore, slightly more powerful, again probably wouldn't matter? My preference would be to get everything off of one rig, known to work, reseal and install? My first choice would be FJ80, second FJ62, last mix FJ60 & 3FE pump.

She wants to keep the stock early type steering wheel and shaft, this is a challenge. Likely would be a good idea to have a selection of steering columns and shafts on hand to rob parts, mix and match from?

She has a spare, we have had them apart. There are bearings in the box, the only other support is the bushing at the wheel. The other little detail is; the box is the main mount, so the shaft and cover will need to be cut, a lower bearing fabbed, along with something to mount to the firewall and connect to an intermediate shaft.:hillbilly:

I would love to do it, but I no longer have a shop. Or a house for that matter, I will be living out of storage for a bit and hopefully be living somewhere cold soon. I'm gonna miss the heat thats headed here.:D
:cheers:

Will you be heading for the cabin, for lack of a better word;)

She has a spare, we have had them apart. There are bearings in the box, the only other support is the bushing at the wheel. The other little detail is; the box is the main mount, so the shaft and cover will need to be cut, a lower bearing fabbed, along with something to mount to the firewall and connect to an intermediate shaft.:hillbilly:

the steering column isn't really mounted to the firewall now, it just sits in a rubber sleeve that is held at the firewall with a bracket - the only true mounting points are at the steering box to the frame, and by a bracket to the dash

there is some way of mating the early column with a later box that involves sawing and some welding, but I haven't really spent much effort to look into the details :eek:

just wont have a lift and will be off the beaten path a bit.

Thought the lift went with you? As for being off the beaten path I wouldn't say the current one right in the middle of town:confused: So are we going to need four wheel low to get there.:rolleyes:

Any undates on the trailer? I plan on being out of town the last weekend of the month so if I need to pick up the trailer I can do it on Monday.

We just finished putting a later model column into my '68. Little bit of cutting on the firewall with a torch and in she went. I have one picture on my build thread in my sig, and can take more if people are interested. I still have some cleanup to do to the cut area but I am waiting until after I sandblast everything to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom