88 FJ62 low air volume from dash vents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased this 89 FJ62 a few days ago and trying to figure out why there is very little air flow from the vents with AC on or off, switching to defrost, foot - nothing changes. The AC is cold but no volume. Not good in Texas summer!

Anyone have suggestions, help. Many thanks in advance!!

Rick, Austin TX

My

When the fan is working correctly it blows like a jet tubine (almost). It could be that the fan motor is on its last leg. It's easy to replace.

My 86 fj60 heater / AC volume was very diminished. I discovered a mat of dog hair layered across the the ac evaporator.The solution was to pull the evap out and clean out the fins of the evap. If you have a husky or German Shepherd always run the the heater on the fresh air setting that way only unfiltered air from outside less the dog hair gets sucked in. If you run it on recirc the dog hair inside the cab gets sucked in unfiltered and right into the evaporator .

pull the fan motor - three screws. reach up and toward the center, your hand will be in the evaporator coil box and you will/should feel the fins. Anything on the fins or in the bottom of the box needs to come out. I used baby wipes to clean my fins, and a small shop vac with a 1" hose to get out as much as I could after I pulled out what I could by hand. I also used the vac hose as a blower to blow more of the debris back out thru the fan opening. I still get random pieces of leaves coming out the vents on occasion.

Also stick the hose up against the wire mesh at the very top of the fan motor shaft - where fresh air comes thru the grill in front of the windshield(I'm blanking on the name of that cover). You can use your phone camera to take a picture with a flashlight and see how much debris is sitting on top of that mesh.

Thank you! I'll remove the fan this weekend and see what is going on. I really appreciate the comments.

I pulled the fan and it operates normally. I uploaded a few pics - does this look normal? Or am I not looking at the right area?

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

If I’m seeing it right, that area behind/above that diamond mesh looks to be fully blocked. That is the source of fresh air. That plastic grid with the squares is where the recirculating air comes from. It looks to be clogged as well.

How would I go about cleaning the area behind the grill? The plastic grid squares are crumbling - can these be replaced without taking the entire box out?

Now point your phone towards the AC evaporator and see how blocked that is....

The best I could do to clear out above the grid was to use 1" shop vac hose from underside to get as much as I could. The picture should be flipped right to left, as the leaves you see are on the outboard side.Even if you remove the wiper motor, there is no way to get to the outboard side where those leaves are.
IMG_1057.JPG

There is a thread where they had the entire system out and replaced all the foam seals/gaskets and filters(which is what the stuff that is crumbling is supposed to be).

You should be able to reach into the evaporator coil box and feel the fins on the coil. As I said above, I wiped down the coils, pulled out handfuls of leaves out, and vacuumed/blew out the balance. I know there is still some in there, I need to go to the local AC supply house. They carry a spray coil cleaner that has a long hose on it that I'll be able to snake into the box and spray the coil down. When I have the fan out for that, I will try and vacuum some more leaves out from the grid.

I’m interested to hear your findings. I have a similar problem. I cleaned the evaporator when overhauling my system earlier this year. When switching air routes (feet, dash, or windshield) I get no changes - I.e air blows out of everything at a consistent level. Cold air still gets out, it just gets out everywhere. I suspect the cable that controls that mechanism is broken on my truck. I bought a windshield screen that has helped tremendously by not letting the truck and AC ducts get super heated when parked in the hot sun (Charleston SC). I think it works extra well because it has a sweet Star Wars image on the front.

I’m not sure I know what you mean by cleaning the fins. With the fan motor removed, the 2 filters open, all I see is the screen with the debris. My system sounds almost identical to Cnut above- constant flow everywhere and weak.

I’m looking at it on my phone but when I zoom in, I see a lot of gray covering the edge of the fins. There is a little less in the after pic but if you look at the space between the fins there is still gray matter there as well as covering the edges of the fins.

It’s not the leaves I had, it just looks to be dust like you’d see on your air filter at home.

Would removing the evaporator be the best thing to do at this point? Since I have the interior removed and the air volume is still not working well.... I can't think of anything else to do at this point

Lol. I agree! So either something is blocking the air inside the box, malfunctioning part or gremlin infestation. I really don’t want to remove the box but if that’s the next step- so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom