'88 FJ62 getting ready for paint/body help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've got a middle of the road shape FJ62 that I've been mechanically baselining in the past year and a half that I've owned it. It was a New Mexico truck that had a poorly done respray(drips, over spray, and the clear is gone). I went and got an initial quote on the body/paint work needed from a local 4x4 restoration shop and I added their quote breakdown in an image. The main points are new hood needed, roof is a little dented, and driver's rear quarter needs a new lower section cut in. They said the price would go down if I could source clean panels, but $13k has me reeling a bit. I've browsed a few other 60-series restoration threads and it seems like most repaint jobs are averaging around $4-8k. Thankfully I've got a 99% rust free truck and the one rust spot can be ground off and patched.

I've got images of each panel here:

Basically I'm looking for insight as to how I can start preparing for the repaint/restoration process. I've never had a vehicle repainted before, so I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it. I've already got to do a new windshield and I may need to get all the seals just in case. Minor pain point is that this is my main vehicle and I live in an apartment, so prep work beyond amassing parts may be difficult(probably will do a rental/borrow cars for the 2mo paint job). I'm definitely banking on this taking X amount more time/money/blood/sweat/tears than I could ever lay out on a spreadsheet. Any insights/lessons from y'all's restorations is welcome.

I've got an ID on the rear lower quarter: Toyota Land Cruiser Rust Repair Panels
I'm not sure the best way to source a hood, but I've been told used is the way to go.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 1.05.33 PM.png

Last edited:
They are full of :poop:
Shop around. Good body work is worth the money but good body men can be found elsewhere. Now just my opinion (that and $1 will get you a cuppa joe) but who gives a :poop: about body and paint until your rig is running right? If it is running right and there are no more engine, transfer case, transmission, brake, electrical problems then sure, go for it. You can source great used parts, probably even locally with enough digging. Unless appearance is super important to you, why worry about it now? Your rig looks nice, even with some repair panels it will still look nice. Even a mediocre paint guy can pretty much match faded paint to make it look at least close to original. $14K will go a loooooooooooooooooooong way. Don't hand it to those guys.

Those are great points, I was a little skeptical of the quote myself after looking around here at some paint threads. I'm not quite out of the woods yet with the mechanicals, but I'm most of the way there so I'm planning ahead a bit(all that's left is exhaust and windsheild, fingers crossed).

I'll definitely shop around and see what other shops can do. Would PDR be worth it at all?

You lost me a little. What’s PDR?
You are definitely going about it the right way by shopping around.
Paintless dent repair, it’s kind of some black magic with dent pulling hammers and glue. Usually you call up a mobile service and they spend the afternoon getting out what they can.

PDR would be an excellent idea. At least have someone look at it. More than half of the quote is panel repair. I know lots of places that charge that much and do excellent work and earn every penny. That said, look around and ask around. A reference from another person would be huge. When people try to get a deal where the shop will "fit it in" and do it for $3k, you probably won't see your truck for 3 years lol. There is a definitely a happy medium though. Do the pdr check out and keep searching. You should be able to cut that cost a lot.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom