88 FJ62 Chokes and Dies when warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team-
Help, I'm a new owner and still learning. This only happens when it's warm outside and after my 88 62 warms up. Chokes out and dies. Check engine light comes on and I'm getting the same four codes each time: 14, 25, 26, and 51. I have replaced the throttle position sensor and that didn't help. I have sprayed and cleaned the valve on the throttle body. I have replaced the speed control valve.
Still doing it! But randomly. It has also randomly (not often) starts, runs 2 seconds and dies. Time after time.
Thanks!

Hi, Spark plug change and air filter replaced? Mike

Mostly on any accell.

Easy check. Take couple feet extra vac hose, put it on the tophat attach, and suck quick on it while tapping lightly with screwdriver handle.
If you here rocks rattle down into your oilpan, you know to NEVER hit the EGR cooler down below, it will be chock full o them, and it is rust welded together. Only attack it if desmogging.

edit: You have to do this while idling, and warm. If it is working, should try to stall. Do three of four times. If no change, you found your problem.

You might also check your high alt vac switch, if happening cold, it may be fooling it into thinking you have changed altitude.

Aisan HAC

Last edited:
some folks just posted this up too, worth a check.

"What is / was the condition of your Carb Insulator Block , Double Verify it has no cracks

even a hair line hard to see with the naked eye will expand as the engine gets warm

also , on your insulator block u should have a bigger Vacuum port ,6mm , a L shaped tube facing up , on the drivers side outer

its factory installed with a asbestos glue sealer , it can become loose & cause a major Vacuum leak

u should have around 17Hg as u know at base idle best case scenario. "

Rebuilt 2f start up tomorrow morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom