88 FJ62 CB Radio Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, first post, thought I'd share a simple, cheap 'n cheerful, non-destructive, under dash mount cb setup I just tossed in my '88 62.

I've only had the beast for a few months and am slowly performing the many upgrades, fixes and add-ons as time and $ allows, and naturally installing a cb was top of the priority list, for no particular reason other than I kinda just wanted one. Eventually I hope to put it to some actual real use.

And because I'm eventually going to rework the dried up and worn out carpet and interior coverings with fresh paneling and maybe some backwoods camo elements, I chose a cb with that in mind - all gussied up in realtree camo, a refurbed Cobra 29 LX! Super ugly but I love it, and it was a deal.

Other components purchased for the install based mainly on the amazingly helpful info and posts found here on the forums - a Firestik R3M spring, Firestik MK204R mount kit pkg for the driver side back jamb and a Firestik FL3B antenna.

So today I installed the cb box - I wanted it under dash, close to driver side, not completely covered by shifter and most importantly, I wanted it to mount without (permanently) drilling into the dash and maybe have the ability to shift around if needed. Also wanted this achieved on the cheap.

I think I managed to pull this off using only 2" butterfly toggle bolts, spacers and some rubber washers.

I noticed the dash has a gap underneath and wraps upward, and after failing to jam my sausage fingers in there to feel around I simply popped off the lower dash console to get a closer look from the front.

Got that out of the way, performed some simple tests with only the toggle bolts and confirmed they'd wrap over the dash edge and eventually 'lock on'. Performed a test fit with the bolts, spacers and washers and the cb in place, determined that it really needed to be as to-the-left as possible. Tightened it all up, seems really sturdy, screwed the cb on for the big show. Looks good!

Next up for another day, the antenna mounting, running the coax from back to front and maybe the most important things of all, my cool little PA speaker to mount under hood for all sorts of fun.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice! Looking forward to you antenna mount - trying to figure out what I want to do with mine.

@TLCNorway - I actually bought the Firestik MK-204R mount and a Firestik flexi antenna but... when my package arrived the mount was missing, box was there, so haven't installed that yet! I spent like two months in eBay limbo and they sided with the seller! Oh well. I'll either buy another one of those or make one myself.

"Workman KD1 Heavy Duty Quick Disconnect" from Effingham Radio Repair on eBay. They're cheap and seem to do the trick!

Hey all, first post, thought I'd share a simple, cheap 'n cheerful, non-destructive, under dash mount cb setup I just tossed in my '88 62.

I've only had the beast for a few months and am slowly performing the many upgrades, fixes and add-ons as time and $ allows, and naturally installing a cb was top of the priority list, for no particular reason other than I kinda just wanted one. Eventually I hope to put it to some actual real use.

And because I'm eventually going to rework the dried up and worn out carpet and interior coverings with fresh paneling and maybe some backwoods camo elements, I chose a cb with that in mind - all gussied up in realtree camo, a refurbed Cobra 29 LX! Super ugly but I love it, and it was a deal.

Other components purchased for the install based mainly on the amazingly helpful info and posts found here on the forums - a Firestik R3M spring, Firestik MK204R mount kit pkg for the driver side back jamb and a Firestik FL3B antenna.

So today I installed the cb box - I wanted it under dash, close to driver side, not completely covered by shifter and most importantly, I wanted it to mount without (permanently) drilling into the dash and maybe have the ability to shift around if needed. Also wanted this achieved on the cheap.

I think I managed to pull this off using only 2" butterfly toggle bolts, spacers and some rubber washers.

I noticed the dash has a gap underneath and wraps upward, and after failing to jam my sausage fingers in there to feel around I simply popped off the lower dash console to get a closer look from the front.

Got that out of the way, performed some simple tests with only the toggle bolts and confirmed they'd wrap over the dash edge and eventually 'lock on'. Performed a test fit with the bolts, spacers and washers and the cb in place, determined that it really needed to be as to-the-left as possible. Tightened it all up, seems really sturdy, screwed the cb on for the big show. Looks good!

Next up for another day, the antenna mounting, running the coax from back to front and maybe the most important things of all, my cool little PA speaker to mount under hood for all sorts of fun.

View attachment 1127261

View attachment 1127265

View attachment 1127268

View attachment 1127273

View attachment 1127274

so how has this set up been working out has it ben trail tested and if so has it held up. love the idea been toying with finding a better use of that space for my full size Cobra 148F GTL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom