88 FJ62 carburetor fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a need to keep the carburetor fan on a 3fe if it’s been desmogged.?

Btw mine has never worked…it’s plugged into a harness but no turning.

If I need to keep it, can anyone share a fix?

Thanks.

Many times, the temp sensor on the exhaust manifold has a broken wire. Other times, the fan computer is fried or needs repair. Rarely is the fan motor bad. Mine has only run twice (that I have ever heard it) after 'wheeling on a very hot day. Not critical, but a nice-to-have. Anything that lowers underhood temps is a good thing.

You might get the factory service manual (FSM) for free here on Mud, and read up on the system.

The FJ62 “manifold fan” (aka carb fan) almost never turns on. If you’ve never heard it run, that’s normal for a FJ62.
The FJ60 fan turns on any time the engine has been running for about 10 minutes or more.
Your fan is probably fine. Keep it. It’s there as a safety component when the engine gets way too hot.

But if you got rid of it - no worries. It doesn’t do anything anyway (except in extreme circumstances).

I’m assuming the little fan that your talking about is the seemingly pointless one on the drivers side fender that blows air at nothing. I have always wondered what that was. Mine runs all the time….. is it’s job to just blow air on the head?

I’m assuming the little fan that your talking about is the seemingly pointless one on the drivers side fender that blows air at nothing. I have always wondered what that was. Mine runs all the time….. is it’s job to just blow air on the head?
In the FJ60 that fan blows air on the carb/intake to help with hot starts. When the fan stops working FJ60 owners start posting on here about hot starting issues. On the FJ62 its rarely needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom