88 FJ62 (awful gas smell) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting an awfull smell of gas after 62 is turned off. I have looked and can't find the cause. gas smell seems to be getting worse as time passes. Has anyone had simular issue? if so please advise.

Quite often fuel can leak into the pass rear quarter where some of the fuel lines are. If you pull the interior panel off you may even be able to feel moisture there.

Do a search on Mud for "gas smell"/"fuel smell", if you haven't already. Lots of info on this subject.

My brother's 62 had this exact problem. He ended up capping off the one bad line and hasn't had the smell since.

I have checked pass rear quarter nothing in that area. I only get the smell after 62 is turned off. The smell is strong near driver front tire. I have checked under the hood and can't see anything.
thoughts: could the cause be FI orings, reason I ask this is when truck is runnig we have fuel pressure to FI then maybe when turned off the pressure is decreased letting the orings loose the seal thay had under pressure? Maybe its time to replace orings.

Fuel filter on inner fender right near there. Mike

Just had this problem on my '79 40 series - found a small hole in one of the fuel lines in the interior of the truck near the gas tank....replaced it, but still had some gas smell (it was so strong, I could smell it as I walked up to the truck in the morning). Found that the fuel pump was leaking.....problem solved.

I had the exact same problem on my FJ60 when I first got it. I turns out the the PO had bought some fancy locking cap that did not work worth a s**t. He told me of the smell when I bought it and he even gave me another gas tank "neck" to replace the old one. It turns out that replacing the gas cap with a factory cap did the trick. Good luck! :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom