88 fj62, 4wd light stays on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked my 62 and let me say that thing is awesome! What a cool vehicle. I only have one issue and that is the little green 4wd light stays on all the time. What controls that light? I have not checked to see if the tcase is engaged all the time but I will today. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Try to spin the front drive shaft, if it spins your t-case is not ingaged if it doesn't then it is. If it is ingaged move the shifter try pushing the button.Also check vaccuum pressure on hoses,make sure hubs are not locked.

do a search on this forum, and ye shall find the answer. it has been asked many times.

Congratulations on the FJ62.

Make sure your front axles are set to free and that your 4x4 shifter is in 2 wheel high.
On a FJ62 the 4x4 light is activated by a button just below the light itself.
4x4.jpg

to deactive 4wd hi and turn off your 4wd light:
1. confirm manual front hubs are in unlocked position. push 4wd dash button to off position (out not in.)
2. open hood and look to the passenger side firewall up on top, close to hood.
3. there are 2 solenoids in a bracket with 2 hoses going in, and 2 hoses going out.
4. pull the bottom hose on the right side (drivers side) and suck on it (not joking) to create your own vaccuum. Suck on it for maybe 4 seconds.
5. Plug hose back in. reach under your car and spin your front driveshaft. It should be free to rotate.

Your solenoid is probably fried. There are a million threads on replacing them.

x2 sounds like 4wd solenoid is bad. I had the same issue.

x2 on the 4x solenoid. you cen get out of 4wheel drive by switching the vacuum hoses. Do a search for it. lots of info in the forum

I guess I must have missed something... :confused:

I thought you were only asking how to turn off the 4wd light (which is done by the button/switch on your 62).

You had the right answer cruiserpants. We just assumed there was a problem and took it a step further. The electronic 4wd system is flawed b/c the solenoid fries after so many years.

Hey thanks for all the input guys. The button was not pushed in, the driveshaft does not turn and the hubs are not locked. I am gonna chase down this 4x solenoid. I love this place...

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom