'88 FJ-62; Need Help I.D. O-ring / Operation X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of putting my engine and transmission (A440F) back together, but need some help finding the correct parts to do so. Specifically, I've had no luck identifying the p/n for the o-ring that I assume slides over the "nose" of the transmission's input shaft. Has anybody else had their engine/transmission apart recently? If so, do you remember having an o-ring on the nose/front end of the A440F's input shaft? Long story short, when I removed my transmission from the back of the engine, the o-ring in the picture fell out in four, brittle pieces. I had to fish three of the four pieces out of the inside of the torque converter. The inside diameter of the o-ring is just under .060 of an inch, which roughly corresponds to the same size as the machined portion on the input shaft. I can only guess that the o-ring originally sealed the input shaft inside the front portion of the torque converter. Anyway, if you know of the name, or more importantly the p/n of the o-ring, please let me know! In the attached pictures, I've tried to put the four pieces of the o-ring back together as best as I could. As you can see, I ordered an "input shaft" o-ring over the phone, but it turned out to be the wrong one...

Thanks in advance for any help! Joel

O-ring.jpg

Approximate I.D..jpg

Approximate size.jpg
O-ring.jpg
Approximate I.D..jpg
Approximate size.jpg

In the valley of the Great Salt Lake is a little far from the water, isn't in Coastie?

:)

For paint, I used a Seymour "Cast Blast" for the block, and an "Alumi Blast" for the aluminum parts. Seymour also makea a high-temp (1200F) Cast Blast, which I used for the head and the stock exhaust manifolds. The above paints were purchased in rattle-can form...

Semper Paratus!

I should jump in here and state that the o-ring Joel got is what the EPC shows as the input shaft o-ring. Obviously not the right one. I've ordered a few more o-rings that are not showing on the EPC and hoping these might work.

As you can see from the schematic below, the EPC shows the one Joel received as the input o-ring.

Real strangeness on this one.

Of course, there is always the possibility that this o-ring is from another assy. or is not serviced. Toyota is notorious for this kind of stuff.
A440F_INPUT.jpg

In the valley of the Great Salt Lake is a little far from the water, isn't in Coastie?

:)

For paint, I used a Seymour "Cast Blast" for the block, and an "Alumi Blast" for the aluminum parts. Seymour also makea a high-temp (1200F) Cast Blast, which I used for the head and the stock exhaust manifolds. The above paints were purchased in rattle-can form...

Semper Paratus!

It's far from the coast, but pretty close to a big salty lake. If you stand on the shore, you can't see the other side, so I can pretend. And thanks for the paint info.

Glad to see another Coast Guard affiliated member here on IH8MUD! I've been in since '92 and am currently stationed down here in Corpus Christi, TX.

:beer:

ttt - with some more pictures. :) Attached are a couple of pictures showing my gallery plug fix on my cylinder head. Instead of using a 5/16" plug, I opted to use a 1/8" x 27 NPT (tapered) plug. IMHO, tapered plugs typically seal better than a NF/NC type thread.

(The second picture shows the OME plug after I drilled it out.)

Oil gallery plug_1.jpg

Oil Gallery Plug.jpg

O.G.P (2).jpg
Oil gallery plug_1.jpg
Oil Gallery Plug.jpg
O.G.P (2).jpg

Bump ttt...

Any opinions on just using an aftermarket o-ring for my application? I haven't received any input from any forums members, and am anxious to get my rig back on the road. While I was waiting this past week, I sprayed the underside of my transmission hump with Second Skin's "Firewall", a thermal ceramic spray-on coating. It was messy, but hopefully will help cut down on some of the heat. I also plan on installing some Heat Wave Pro over the Firewall...

Second Skin_Firewall.jpg

Second Skin_Transmission Hump_2.jpg
Second Skin_Firewall.jpg
Second Skin_Transmission Hump_2.jpg

Nice, clean work.

Good job!

Here's a picture of today's activities - I installed some Reflectix insulation (radiant heat barrier) on top of my Second Skin "Firewall". Hopefully the combination of the two will work well together...

Transmission Hump.jpg
Transmission Hump.jpg

that oring is for torque convertor lock up clutch a good trans shop might be able to help you. sweet ride

EUROTECH - Thanks!!! So the little bugger does have a name! :)

I'll have to check with Onur (Beno) to see if he can track anything down listed under "torque converter lockout clutch" o-ring. If not, I'll take your recommendation and look around a couple of transmission shops to see if they carry any Nitrile / Buna-N equivalents...

I appreciate your help! Joel :beer:

Beautiful work so far, looks fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom