88 4Runner tongue weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
long story short: Girlfriend needs space, says I gotta move out... so I'm going to give it to her. Moving from Chicago to California with what ever I can take in the 4Runner.

1988 4Runner SR5
Old Man Emu Heavy Duty Suspension
32" Goodyear MT/R
Soft Top
Factory hitch (I assume).
Rear end currently sits about 2" higher than the front (was going to buy a bumper)

The Old Man Emu 2" HD lift includes:
F&R Shocks, Front Torsion bars, Rear springs,
Bushings, and Steering Dampener

I want to transport my old Honda NX650, mountain bike, and road bike.

I'm thinking of buying the VersaHaul Sport Motorcycle carrier which has a max load of 600lbs. Then, plug a hitch mounted bicycle hauler into it.

Everything together weighs about 518 lbs
90 - hauler
340 - motorcycle (dry)
35 - mountain bike
23 - road bike
30 - bike hauler

I could take the wheels of the bikes to reduce that a little bit.
Going to haul a spare tire/wheel, computers, clothes, bed frame, tv, camping gear.
I can try put the spare and any other heavy items right behind the front seat to distribute the load.

Is this doable?
I've been searching the web for answers and didn't find it in the manual.
There are no sticker with info on my truck or hitch.

I can probably break down the bikes and put them in the truck but then that will eat up a lot of my limited cargo space as I have to take the computers (work) and really want a full size spare on that long of a drive.

Thanks for any help.

Youd be better off renting a uhaul truck and trailer. Put your stuff in the truck, put the bike in the truck, and tow the 4r behind it.

If you can afford it I'd go the U-Haul route too. That or crate everything in one crate and ship it to your destination taking only what you will need with you in the 4rnnr.

Or just rent a uhaul trailer to haul the bike. I would be afraid that handling would become a little dangerous with that heavy bike on the back. I have also considered this for my 1st gen, but I don't have the heavy rear springs like you do.

I found the HD Versahaul with trailer lights and straps for half price so jumped on it. I've been driving it around town the past 2 days with the bike loaded and 2 sets of wheels/tires in the back. So far so good.

The rear is sitting just below level at this weight... it sit's about 2" higher empty. Suspension feels fine, brakes and steering feel good.

After a bit more testing, if all goes well, I'm gonna run it to CA via Albuquerque. If it doesn't seem safe, I'll throw it in a U-Haul trailer along with the bike.

versahaul_dside.jpg

versahaul_pside.jpg

versahaul_rear.jpg

versahaul_side.jpg

Mmmm... that doesn't seem safe. I suppose I could drive down and take that NX off your hands - ya-know to lighten your load.

In all seriousness, seems to ride pretty well. It will get worse when you get the rest of you stuff in there - but not as bad as mine would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom