87 Toyota extra cab Diesel Challenge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, everybody! I have a challenging question about an 87 toyota extra cab diesel. I have almost 500,000 km on it and have decided to rebuild it. The problem is , nobody around here even knows who built the motor. The dealer says toyota didn't and that's all they know. I am trying to find main bearings for it, so if anybody has a idea please let me know!!!! These trucks did not pass emmissions in the states, so were not sold in the U.S but a handful made them into Canada, and my Father was one who bought it new from the Dealer. They are popular everywhere else like Australia, Afghanistan ect. Thanks for your help. :) P.S there are rumours of a company from Germany named HILO that built it???

I believe its HINO, this thread would be better off in the internation tech fourm.

Your 1987 Toyota Diesel Pickup will have either a Toyota 2L (naturally aspirated) or a 2LT (if its a turbo). Are you located in Canada...if so most maintanance parts (filters etc) are available from the dealer as well as your friendly neighborhood Canadian Tire. Rebuild parts are trickier to find but even for many of those your dealer should be able to order them in as long as you have the part numbers. The dealer you spoke with was misinformed.

I suggest you head on over to http://www.toyotadieselmadness.com. The Toyota 2L & 2LT (and newer 2LIIT, 2LTE, 3L) diesel engines are pretty much the daily discusssion topic and there are some very knowledgeable guys there who can help you out.

regards,
Brad

As well, you can order parts from a Toyota Fork Lift service station if you have one in your area. Hino also made the engines for that application.

Check the Japanese used engine stores for used motors. You may have one if you live in a metro area. These 2LT engines are cheap and plenty in Japan.

This is one in Nor Cal: http://www.risingsunengines.com/

I've dealt with these guys, they're pretty straight forward: Jarco Inc

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom