87 fj60 with 88 chevy 350 tbi troubles (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok need some help everyone was playing with the timing loosening up the distributor and the truck just died. well now the problem is it wont stay running without me giving it gas. but yet it ran once for a while with no problems and then it went right back to running like crap. seems almost like a wet distributor cap but she is dry. i'm going to buy a new cap, its good to have a spare anyway. and i just replaced the ignition module a while ago and im going to put the old one in again to see if any difference. beyond that i am lost. oh yeah no codes. so someone give me something to look for

thanks all
Bryon

Are you getting a good spray pattern from the injectors? Can you check the function of the IAC. How about TPS and MAP sensors? Do you have a scan tool to look at there values while running? I had a problem like that once and it turned out a pinched vacuum hose to the MAP sensor.

Sounds like the timing is way off. If you're not real good with a timing gun and the whole process (I'm not) it can be a pain to fix. I had a similar problem with the bolt keeping the distributor in place coming loose for no reason. I finally took it to a mechanic to get the timing set right. If the timing is off, the engine could range from not starting at all, to having the pistons smack the valves. Good luck!

To check/set timing, set the engine at TDC #1, take the cap off the distributor and make sure the rotor is pointing at the terminal for the #1 spark plug tower (for future reference, on some imports this is not always the terminal directly under the #1 tower). Depending on your TBI, base timing may be either 0 or 10 deg before TDC.

no timing is dead on thought i may have cracked off th distributor gear but she keeps turning right around to dead on. truck was running fine i just thought it wasa little sluggish and was going to play with the timing since its an aftermarket cam. just my luck i must have screwed something up. well out to the garae to see if i can find anything. are there any good cheap, i.e. use it only once in a blue moon real time scan tools.

thanks all

Bryon

Sounds like the timing is way off. If you're not real good with a timing gun and the whole process (I'm not) it can be a pain to fix. I had a similar problem with the bolt keeping the distributor in place coming loose for no reason. I finally took it to a mechanic to get the timing set right. If the timing is off, the engine could range from not starting at all, to having the pistons smack the valves. Good luck!

That's cam timing, not ignition timing ;)

ok dont know if this makes sense or not but the motor runs like crap really lopey , but when i disconnect the vacuum line from the map sensor seh runs great and when i reinstall the vacuum line it dies. I did the test on the wires for the map sensor and all tests out allright but is there a vacuum test or something for it, or does this infact make any sense. help me.

thanks all
Bryon

ok finally got it put new fuel filter in to no avail so i went a little further back to the tank and found a crack in the supply hard line fixed it and still ran like crap but just a little better. so i looked for vacuum leaks and everything else. went to get a fuel pressure tester and they had to order one. so didnt get one. so luckily i had an old fuel pressure regulator that i knew was good and swapped that in. And what do you know it runs great. needless to say im gping to get me a fuel pressure tester just to save some hassle if this ever happens again. thanks to everyone and hope this helps someone else to

thanks
Bryon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom