87 FJ60 wiring harness troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tracking down all the POFU's on a new to me 87 fj60. I am going to start tracking things down using the wiring diagram (should be able to download in the FSM?), but maybe you guys know some of this. Electrical is not my strongest point.

-I'm not getting power to the idle cut off solenoid. It has 2 wires to/from the plug. I was planning to test if the solenoid works, which one would I put power to?

-There's a length of harness under the drivers side of the dash that I don't know its purpose. Pulled the fuse block, kick panel, and carpet to get a better look at the extra wiring. Any ideas what this used to plug into?

The truck has cruise control and some of that harness appears to take the wires from the switch on the column. Some of the crappy wiring is the aftermarket radio.
IMGP3528.JPG
IMGP3529.JPG

To test the solenoid, check for power on the black/yellow stripe wire with it all connected. If you have power at the b/y wire, then check for voltage on the yellow/green stripe wire. If there is voltage, ground the yellow/green stripe wire and listen for a click.

Normally with the key on there should be voltage on the b/w wire and 0 volts on the y/g wire if it is working properly.

I don't know what the connector is for.

Thanks.
I found one major problem, a poor connection on one of the 3 fuse links. It had been replaced and badly soldered then slightly corroded inside the plug. Tipped me off when suddenly while looking at power to the fuel system I realized a number of items were down. Guess that is where I should have started :eek:. Solenoid appears to be working normal, which is good.
Still don't know about the harness with the white plug. Back at it tomorrow. Remove the wires someone jammed in under the fuses.

Looks like you have a real wiring mess. Maybe part of that wiring mess is an anti-theft switch to the idle cutoff switch and/or alarm system? When you pull those nasty wires out of the fuse block, take a small screw driver and reform the fuse connections, or you will have intermittent electrical problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom