Builds Nemesis - a deviant undertaking underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschruff

Make PSILOCYBIN legal for TBI/PTSD/TRA&D
Threads
Hi.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1987 FJ60 - she's due to be shipped the later part of next week. My first FJ60 purchase was - for lack of better wording - horrific. This one will be what I hoped the first to be (fingers crossed). So, I wanted to say hi to the community and I look forward to becoming a valued poster in the near future.

That (above) was my original intro post - extremely conservative, mellow, non-specific. As I'm closing on the 10 year mark, I look back and laugh at the naive nature of my thoughts, plans, build time and the like.

For the Toyota purists, my build will equate to blasphemy, literally. She's going to be an asphalt queen - and I'm building her as such. Yes, I'm interested in improving interior sound quality/comfort and better handling characteristics. My goal performance wise is simple - knowing what's under the hood has the potential to propel my beloved sled with heart stopping acceleration and anxiety provoking speed, and ultimately causing hysterical meltdowns to unsuspecting passengers.

My motto and one of the leading statements I made to Jason at Trail-Tailor was this: If you ever had a wild, unconventional, one-off idea for a project, present it and I'm more than likely to say 'HELL YES', let's build that mofo!

I'm also not shy - good and bad, so I apologize ahead of time if I offend you. Take comfort in that I do this both in face2face and internet arenas as I believe in equality. I'm not a polished, politically correct, ass kissing type of guy. But...I'm loyal, dedicated, take responsibility (good or bad) and a flat-out workaholic.

If any of you guys are ever in the New Orleans (NOLA) or Covington areas, PM me and if I'm not at my real job, I'll meet you and show you around a bit.

That's enough of an intro - or at least enough for me.

Ready for a crazy ride down the rabbit hole?

Follow me. . .

Here is a list of projects completed during the initial build:

Initial work:

1. H55F tranny swap Done
2. Wagongear side panels, tailgate panel, seals. Done
3. Tuffy console. Done.
4. LED Headlights: Went with JW Speaker Evo2's
5. FJ62 rear sway bar Done
6. Rear bumper/carrier Done - Trail Tailor
7. Desmog, mild refresh on the 2F, header, custom exhaust, JimC carb/dizzy Done
8. Replace lift, steering components - Done; wheels, tires Done.
9. Man-A-Fre LRA 38gal tank - done.
10. Body-on POR-15 frame, inside body (floor, jams, welds, etc.) - done.
11. Custom front grille - 4+products, done.
12. Cargo barrier, Milford, done.
13. Goose Gear 60 rear plate, done.
14. Rebuild OEM axles, brakes, ebrake, knuckles, diffs - done.
15. BMW Seats with TorFab brackets, done.
16. Dynamat body floor, inner doors/rear qtrs - done.

RestoMod Work:

1. Motor Swap - 6.2 LS3, Whipple 2.9L supercharger, 6L80e, 80series t-case, full-time AWD, LR Tank: Trail-Tailor.
2. Trail-Tailor custom frame, suspension, brakes.
3. Trail-Tailor axle housings.
4. Trail-Tailor Front/Rear custom bumpers.
5. FJ62 upper with custom gauges, custom lower: Trail-Tailor.
6. Rewire entire truck - CAN Bus System • Infinitybox
7. Replace every nut, bolt, gasket, w/s, seal, bushings - Performance Body Works & Trail-Tailor.
8. Frame off rotisserie with color change to Dark Emerald Frost Matte, tail & side lights mods, sound/heat deadening @ Performance Body Works.
9. Custom Interior (Sheel-Mann seats, custom door panels & door hardware, center console, carpet, rear cargo area) - Trail-Tailor.
10. A/V, interior/exterior axillary lighting - Trail-Tailor.
11. Power running boards - AMP.
12. Wheels - VAD, HRE and Skol are the top runners at the moment.
13. HVAC - RestoMod Air
14. Ididit steering column & Sparc wheel.

Why 'Nemesis'? Making up for past sins, brother. . .

Shane

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome/well wishes - all greatly appreciated.

Update:

Shipping - scheduled for pickup on 30 Jan, delivery 4 Feb (yeah)

To do list:

Wagongear.com

As soon as he can fulfill an order, tailgate/side panels.

H55F:

Ordering from Beno @ Nalley Toyota

Beno suggested a gearing change while the tranny/xfer is out. So, sending the xfer out for a rebuild and changing to (is it 4.10 or 4.11?) gears.

Last edited:
Good lord, that is a nice find! Very clean looking rig dude! Aughta keep you smiling for a long time to come. Post pics of the progress!

awesome find!!!!

Good lord, that is a nice find! Very clean looking rig dude! Aughta keep you smiling for a long time to come. Post pics of the progress!

thats a nice truck. great looking one to start with. congratulations

Hey and thanks so much - I feel fortunate to have found her and to top it all off, the seller was unbelievably nice, helpful and informative. . .just an all-around great guy.

Great community and glad to be a part of it. . .

Last edited:
Rims:

Never had such a hard time finding a set of wheels for a vehicle. Would like to put a set of Mojave with 33x10.5's, but don't want to run spacers and don't necessarily like the look of the steel wheels. Also, would like to go up to a 16" wheel - but see above for the associated problems.

There are a bunch of threads on wheels but this one in particular is newer with good info:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/791967-16x8-inch-alloy-wheels-correct-backspacing.html

Congrats! Great looking 60!

Thanks, CREEP. . .she'd due to be delivered early next week and I'm totally stoked.

Beno suggested a gearing change while the tranny/xfer is out. So, sending the xfer out for a rebuild and changing to (is it 4.10 or 4.11?) gear

Ring gear is stamped 9x37
37 divided by 9 = 4.11

Ring gear is stamped 10x37
You do the math :)

congrats...looks like you and i have very similar plans for our '87's. Keep us updated.

General update:

1. Shipping was delayed r/t the weather. She was trailered this afternoon and is now officially on her way. Was told 3-5 days for delivery - will post pics as she's rolling off of the trailer.

2. So - spent some time with Beno today (phone) and looks like I'll have to change the priority of my 'to do' list. My first goal was to make the FJ a little more manageable on the highway. "I'll just drop a H55F in her and move to the next project", hahahahahahahahahahaha. . .little did I know it never ends with a simple idea, lol.

With 248K on the clock - and even though she's been properly maintained - decided to rebuild/renew the entire driveline while's she's on the rack:

Driveline:
H55F with all the goodies (Beno)
rebuilt xfer case (beno/local)
new tranny mount (beno)
Change f/r diffs to 4.10 (JT Diffs)
Balance/new parts for front shaft (beno/local)
New OEM rear shaft (beno)
New hardware for shafts (beno)
f/r axle rebuilds (beno/local)
knuckles rebuilt (beno/local)
new relay rods (beno)
new tie rods (beno)
steering box - inspect, rebuild if necessary, reseal (beno/local)

Exterior/Interior (beno):
f/r lens & gasket R&R
f/r side markers R&R
FJ62 power antenna install
new f/r OEM seat belts
dash grab handle
hood liner
R&R door/latch gaskets

It's one thing to read numerous posts stating. . .3K here, 5K there. . .something else when you live it yourself. My original estimate of about 10K to do the mods I wanted has just tripled. And yes, I'm scared, lol, but truly looking forward to the next 12-18 months.

A lot of what I am going to do to her has been done by many of the forum members. However, I will document each build/rebuild/mod with notes on parts, price and downtime. In addition, if I have something fabricated for the FJ - I'll do my best to get a mold/template/whatever and share with anyone who is interested.

Thanks and man, what did I get myself into :doh:

How's this for a testimony to my FJ's commitment:

Sold her last week in anticipation of the FJ60's arrival. Woot woot.

Looks like you have a good guard dog there, OK, maybe not so much :)

That's quite the list! It took me about 3 years to do all that after I bought moonshine :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom