Builds Nemesis - a deviant undertaking underway (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

master cylinder.jpg
CF Brake Booster.jpg

Hoping Santa doesn't get stuck in the shipping vortex. . .d'oh!

Unless the stars align and I'm granted three wishes, my 60 journey is coming to an end. Will spend the next week or two debating the finality of this but more likely than not, she's going to be listed for sale.

FJ60
All spare parts (NOS, new, high end aftermarket parts, used) +/-$15k
Fresh & complete rolling chassis (front/rear lockers, frame cleaned & painted with inside anti-rust coating; frame with full FJ80 axle/suspension/brake conversion).

If she goes, she's going as a complete kit, no exceptions. Still debating final pricing and will update with decision/pricing 1-2 weeks.

Shane

Dang it.....if this does happen it's worse than a kick to the tenders. Really sorry to hear you might have to part with the rig. Hoping the stars align in your favor.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ️(aligned stars)
@87CRUSR @Major Nelson - much appreciated and although I've come to stomach the possibility, I'm still making this last attempt to get it done. As I told another MUD member yesterday, brought most of this on myself - wasted so much time/money during the initial few years, wasn't realistic on so many aspects of this project when I did my first push, many of the wet behind the ears mistakes you see throughout the build threads - natural disaster, death, etc not withstanding.

Made the calls today to who I think can help me accomplish this within my build parameters - still waiting to hear back from one shop, the other is a go. Should know by early next week.

You guys enjoy the weekend. . .

Shane

Just build the 60 and flip it. without all the "woohoo custom crap" No one will pay the $$ for an incomplete project that you have in it. Maybe 30-50% if you're lucky.

Battery acid on the wounds.. but the struggle is real in today's 60 world.
That is a viable alternative. Sell the custom stuff to finance the stockish rebuild.

Would be incredibly sad for you to need to sell this truck after so much love and work invested. I sincerely hope you can pull it all together. You are so close. It may not feel that way because everything is apart but once the paint goes on and you are able to begin assembling, you will get huge rewards nearly every day.

I'll echo others who have recommended you drop some of the spectacular mods and instead aim for a finishable project that you could go back to in the future. Some mods are fantastic but almost all of them are really difficult to pull off cleanly and with the reliability of OEM.

If you do have to sell, I've nearly completed my HJ and will be looking for a new project.

Would be incredibly sad for you to need to sell this truck after so much love and work invested. I sincerely hope you can pull it all together. You are so close. It may not feel that way because everything is apart but once the paint goes on and you are able to begin assembling, you will get huge rewards nearly every day.

I'll echo others who have recommended you drop some of the spectacular mods and instead aim for a finishable project that you could go back to in the future. Some mods are fantastic but almost all of them are really difficult to pull off cleanly and with the reliability of OEM.

If you do have to sell, I've nearly completed my HJ and will be looking for a new project.
@60Works @TRAIL TAILOR @87CRUSR @Stan(HFS) - appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

Still on the fence but lots to do in other areas of my life that have taken priority.

Shane

Last edited:
@60Works @TRAIL TAILOR @87CRUSR @Stan(HFS) - appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

Update:

My dilemma is physical/health related, not monetary (for a change). After my last FUBAR with planning this 10 year project, having the $ to actually complete the build was my #1 priority moving fwd. The mods I wanted to include on this build only added about 10-12K parts/labor and while they may not add value, they are part of the build I personally wanted to see to completion.

Two choices

1. Have a local guy that's offered me $45k for everything (FJ60, rolling chassis, all parts) as she sits, including finishing the paint/body without the custom mods/parts and in the original color (silver). Mgr at a Subaru dealer offered to trade me a 2022 Outback Wilderness flat-out. I have about $80K in her at this point, $100K if she's brought to competition. $45K is tempting but as Jason & Stan both pointed out, it would be stupid not to finish and put her on auction - then sell the remaining parts - and will still fall short of recovering penny4penny.

2.Keep it and finish the build but with a few changes. Change #1: Wrestled with the 2F vs V8 swap for years. Thought I settled on the LSA combo but when I see the engine bay of a restored 2F with the Sniper kit, idk, just does something for me. Really wanted a Mosley Motors 2F - that's a no-go. Couldn't find anyone who builds like Cam. After making a call to George, was referred to a builder out in Cali to do the work - a factory rebuild. This would solve my timeline problem and ultimately give me 90% of my dream build.

Still on the fence but lots to do in other areas of my life that have taken priority.

Shane
Option 2 seems like a good compromise and one where you can be proud of the rig. Hope the issues sort themselves out. Keep the faith! Cheers!

Option 2 seems like a good compromise and one where you can be proud of the rig. Hope the issues sort themselves out. Keep the faith! Cheers!
@87CRUSR - thank you & you guys' encouragement is much appreciated.

A fj60 with a 2f is still pretty slow. I would drop in a simple 6.0ls. The extra power of a v8 makes the vehicle far more multipurpose. A lsa is cool but forced induction can get cumbersome at times since it has to run perfect all the time otherwise the motor blows up. Naturally aspirated is far more forgiving.

Officially solidified - going to finish her with fingers & toes crossed.

Now comes the fun part - deciding which parts to let go & the logistics of A-Z.

Really appreciate the encouragement from everyone.

Shane

Officially solidified - going to finish her with fingers & toes crossed.

Now comes the fun part - deciding which parts to let go & the logistics of A-Z.

Really appreciate the encouragement from everyone.

Shane
Good to hear man. really want to see this done.

Good to hear man. really want to see this done.
Thx, brother. Although most of my friends would say I don't have feelings, the thought of having to axe the 60 actually hurt. A few small changes to the overall build but if all goes well, she'll be 90% of what I've wanted since day 1. Been a long ride, more bumps than I care to remember, but just being able to drive her once she's finished will be worth it. Watching you progress through J's friggin shop is awesome and inspiring. . .yes, I'm a lurker=)

get er done!! :)

Looking forward to the next phase, "modifying the mod".

Before posting on eBay - have a OEM NOS grille/headlight surrounds going up for sale. Would be interested in trading for a 62 dash & gauge bezel if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom