87 fj60 no spark from coil HELP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi i recently bought this truck that had been wrecked and ran in october. Ive fixed almost everything and went to start it with a new battery and will turn over with no spark. Ive read through the forums and i have had 3 coils and getting all the right readings with my meter except not the right ohms/resistance from neg coil to the center. Idk if they all could be bad? one used and 2 new from auto zone. Can anybody tell me what else to test or a solution?

No spark at the plugs? No spark on the coil lead? Could be an igniter but I'd check the distributor as well. Need 12 vt on the positive lead of the coil. Takes a lot to kill a coil. If there are signs at the coil of spark, wires and plugs next.

I would suspect the ignitor. try using a known good ignitor for testing. I have had one die on me- once.

No spark at the coil lead. I cleaned all the grounds but I just started looking at the new coils I got and they say use with external resistor. The stock Toyota says use with igniter so I'm Gonna try to get a Toyota one today or tomorrow. Is there any way to check the igniter? I haven't found anything.

I had the same issue. I tested everything and narrowed it down to the ignitor and it was the culprit.

Swapped the coil and igniter and still a really weak spark from the coil and won't start!

Here's a test. It will require two people:

Remove spark plug #1 and reattach the plug wire to it. Hold the plug with thick rubber gloves by the rubber plug and ground the center electrode to engine ground by holding the plug against it.

Have your assistant crank the starter a little (without pumping the gas or pulling the choke). See if you can see ANY spark jump the spark plug gap.

Have your assistant turn the ignition to OFF.

Repeat the above with each plug. All 6.

If you are seeing ANY spark at each plug, a properly working engine will start. Spark is not the problem.

The cruiser doesn't need a huge spark. Any little ole spark will do.

It looks like the gap on the signal generator is to much i am getting a gauge now. How do you adjust it? I'm not seeing it in any manual. I see two phillips screws on the side and one screw next to the generator.

The signal generator in the distributor uses a magnetic Hall effect pickup. Either you will get a signal (and spark) in all the spark plugs or nothing if the gap is WAY too big.

The signal generator in the distributor uses a magnetic Hall effect pickup. Either you will get a signal (and spark) in all the spark plugs or nothing if the gap is WAY too big.
So with no spark at the plugs I would guess you mean it's the signal generator has to big of a gap or has gone bad. I am thinking the gap because I believe the PO replaced it not to long ago and everything looks fairly newer with the distributor, plugs , and cap. I'm trying to see how to adjust the signal generator to spec gap. Any help would be much appreciated as I see 3 screws and one post I found said to pry with a flat head screwdriver? I just don't want to pry or force it on those small parts or the wrong part and mess something else up.

Be careful adjusting the gap. You should be using non conductive feeler gauges.im sensing another issue here. Does the coil have power on the + lead ? You can run all the tests for a 22r system. All the toyota engines with igniters work the same way. Just for grins...what are your compression numbers and have you checked the timing marks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom