87 fj60. Looking for a mechanic to check out the engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Ted! Have I met you at any of our meetings? You should join us on Jan 9! There's no one up here I'd trust my old Land Cruiser to. The only other person besides me that will touch it will be Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. The guy that built my engine, Chris at Douglas machine would be the guy I'd recommend for rebuilds, but he doesn't do automotive repair. Let me ask him if he knows anyone he would trust.

What's going on with it? Symptoms? There are lots of folks in the club that really know their stuff and these 2F is pretty simple too.

Hey Ted! Have I met you at any of our meetings? You should join us on Jan 9! There's no one up here I'd trust my old Land Cruiser to. The only other person besides me that will touch it will be Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. The guy that built my engine, Chris at Douglas machine would be the guy I'd recommend for rebuilds, but he doesn't do automotive repair. Let me ask him if he knows anyone he would trust.

What's going on with it? Symptoms? There are lots of folks in the club that really know their stuff and these 2F is pretty simple too.
I'm not a member, I think I'll try to stop by your meeting. I have a 87 fj60. In nice shape and a bj40 project at my home in the Philippines.

I'm not a member, I think I'll try to stop by your meeting. I have a 87 fj60. In nice shape and a bj40 project at my home in the Philippines.

My first TLC was a 77 BJ40 (pictured) when I lived in the Dominican Republic. I loved that rust bucket! :)

Bruiser_Cruiser_0.jpg

I have a 20 foot trailer and would be happy to help you get the 60 down to Georg if you don't think it'll make the 4 hour trip. Just buy me some lunch and some gas and you got yourself a transporter! :) Georg was the TLCA vendor of the year in 2018 and is a bit of celebrity in these parts. He has reasonable prices and will treat your TLC with... well TLC.

You should stop by on Thursday! We welcome non-members all the time and we are a pretty low-key group.

I have a truck and can get a trailer too. 87 fj60. 155000 miles. It had a bad exaust gasket leak. Fixed that, did a desmog and headers and a trollhole carb. Still runs bad at idle, did a compression test and all six at about 100. Not good. Just want a pro to look at it before I jerk everything out and install a 5.3 ls!

I have a truck and can get a trailer too. 87 fj60. 155000 miles. It had a bad exaust gasket leak. Fixed that, did a desmog and headers and a trollhole carb. Still runs bad at idle, did a compression test and all six at about 100. Not good. Just want a pro to look at it before I jerk everything out and install a 5.3 ls!

Shoot! If that is your eventual plan, just skip the diagnostics of the 2F and put the money toward the LS. Mars Automotive has some cool kits for LS swaps. MARS Auto & Truck Parts | LS Swap Kits | LS Turnkey Pallets | Auto Parts. They are "takeout" engines that are configured to run without factory harnesses, computers,radios, and all that garbage. They still take custom tunes and will run on the pallet! You can get an LS1 with less than 100K on the odometer for about $3500. They also sell transmissions and transfer cases to with them if you want.

Shoot! If that is your eventual plan, just skip the diagnostics of the 2F and put the money toward the LS. Mars Automotive has some cool kits for LS swaps. MARS Auto & Truck Parts | LS Swap Kits | LS Turnkey Pallets | Auto Parts. They are "takeout" engines that are configured to run without factory harnesses, computers,radios, and all that garbage. They still take custom tunes and will run on the pallet! You can get an LS1 with less than 100K on the odometer for about $3500. They also sell transmissions and transfer cases to with them if you want.
Been looking at 5 3's. I see many places that sell them like Mars. Pacific fab, ect. But I really want someone tell look at the 2f first. So I guess I'll call George.

Georg is the man! If your compression is low, it is low though. Probably your rings are shot. Georg can test for blow-by. My 68 ran like a top until it got to operating temp, then the oil pressure would tank and the temp would go through the roof. I blew a head gasket.

At 5k ft elevation, the factory max at sea level is around 145 psi with allowable down to around 110-115 if memory serves. 145x.861(cf) = 124 psi. 115 x .861 = 99 psi. Throw in low temp as compression goes down with temperature affecting barometric pressure and you could be spot on for the conditions. Especially if your cranking speed is slow from old starter, heavy oil, low temperatures, 600cca battery vs 950cca etc. Good news is they are even. 3 at 125 two at 85 and one at 150 would concern me a lot more.

Throw a few cans of seafoam through the gas tank, make sure your timing is advancing right and your tune up is good, then take it up donner pass and back down. That will burn off any crap in the valve seats and make sure it builds enough heat to get rid of any sludge in the ring packs.

Reality is, these are forklift motors designed to run on South African mud water and half distilled petrol out of a dirty tank in Guatemala. In America, the only way to make them run better is to swap them or build them yourself but you give some to get some.

Last edited:
Fj does'nt smoke runs ok until at idle. I've been thinking that because it was drivin for many miles with a blown exaust gasket that it has head problems. So compression test was 100 dry and 110 wet at Sparks nv elevations. I will keep messin with it. Thanks

Get rid of the Trollhole and throw a rebuilt Aisin or one of the Taiwanese ones from CityRacer on there. Trollhole's have been notorious for having issues over the last few years, lack of proper QA, bad machining, etc. have lead to a lot of people in the 60 forum having problems with his carbs.

100psi across all cylinders is not bad, but would be indicative of warn rings. I would throw a reliable carb on there an get it working first before trusting the initial readings, if you can find one, do a leakdown test to see what is going on.

I still have a good original carb. One step at a time! I get frustrated and it goes across the mountain to George.
Did you do the desmog yourself or did the PO do the desmog? One of the best things I did for my 60 was have JimC rebuild and desmog my stock carb. My truck ran SOOOOO much better after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom