'87 FJ 60 wheel/tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock '87 FJ 60 with the original wheels mounted with some generic 235/75/15 street tires. I'm looking at putting a 2.5 - 3" OME lift and sizing up the tires to a 33 x 12.50 (although the 4x4 shop didn't advise going bigger than a 32 x 11.50.)

What's the bolt pattern (6 on what?), back spacing and rim width of the stock FJ rims? What's the largest tire you can safely run on the stock rims?

I'm looking at a set of newer alloy wheels off a Tacoma and thinking they may fit (depending on bolt pattern, etc..) and allow me to upsize the tires. I just don't want to end up with rims/wheels that stick way out of the wells - I do not like that look at all. Like to keep 'em tucked under if possible.

Thanks!

The best tire I have had on my stock cruisers rims was and still is the BFG all terrain 33 x 9.50 x 15
The stock rim is only 6 inches wide making the 9.50 the largest width tire for the stock rim. You can also get those tires in with out the oem lift. If you are thinking of a wider tire........ think about what type of driving you will be doing too. If you plan on being off road more than on road, than a wider tire may be the option. However, the 33x9.5 is a great tire in snow as well as mud and it can't be beat on the highway.
Good luck with your decision.

I run 35x12.5 on 15x8 (the bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5 btw) with a 3.75BS and .25 spacers to clear the calipers. The taco wheels will need significant spacers to fit (the bolt on kind) if you run the stockers, you should prob. go for a 33x10.5.

12.5 is a little wide for an 8" rim but it's known as a "poor man's beadlock", it distorts the contact patch a bit but can airdown pretty successfully.

10.5 on a 6 would be much the same scenario.

Tons of people run 33x10.5 on the stock rims and have no issues, I run a 34x10.5 and it's great. I've even seen 33x12.5 with no reported issues as well (they'll crown a bit and wear funny but doable).

I should have poked around a bit here and I could have found the info pretty easily on this forum. Duh for me.

Toyota - Vehicle Bolt Pattern Reference

The Tacoma rims should fit - exact same bolt pattern, but I can't figure out what the backspacing numbers are on the stock rims v. the Tacoma rims. Also, does anybody know what the "CB" measurement is on the bolt-pattern reference link above?

The Tacoma rims are alloy too, maybe a bit lighter than the steel rims (and they have 31 x 10.50 Toyo Open Country tires mounted already, albeit a bit used.)

The Tacoma rims are 7" wide which would allow me to run 33 x 10.50's. Snow traction is a must, since this is primarily a ski-run rig in the winter.

Idahobaker,
if you are using this cruiser for snow travel...... I recommend going with the 33 x 9.5 x 15. This is the best performer in the snow verses the wider tire. tall and skinny is what you want in the snow! I should know, as we have snow in Alaska for 8 months out of the year. They performed best in the snow for me over my wider 12.5. Unstoppable!
Just my 2cents. take it for what its worth.

I'm facing this decision as well. Would there be a significant performance difference in snow between the 33x9.5 and 33x10.5?

Turns out that the rims aren't factory Toyota rims and the owner has no idea what they are or what size they are other than "well, I took them off my Tacoma. I'm not a wheel guy."

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the input!

just a heads up, Costco has $70 off a set of four tires this month, BFG all terrains T/A KO with coupon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom