87 FJ 60 Optima battery???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Which one do I need? My battery is dying.

Get the D34M from Costco. It's a blue top, works great.

They also make a D31A yellow series which is larger/higher cap but is slightly too large for the stock batt tray. That said, I've been using the standard group 34 red tops(with 1" blocks underneath)...no winches or heavy power drainers...the older of the two is almost 7 years old now...still fine.

Sweet, the exchange has a D34M for 149.00. Thanks brother!

Blue top Optimas are MARINE batteries bubbas.

Get a yellow or red top.

HZJ60 Guy said:
Blue top Optimas are MARINE batteries bubbas.

Get a yellow or red top.

Disagree Bubbita. Check the specs. Identical to yellow tops with improved vibration resistance. What's not to love?

Besides, I have personal experience running blue tops in 2 Cruisers. Excellent performance.

what is the difference

dang you are fast

red top!!!!

Iggy and i were doin a tune up the other night, and noticed mine has been kickn since January '97. youknowthatsrice... -other sean

yellow top will crank 700amps for 2 hours. Red top has higher initial amps (900) but wont crank nearly as long. Go yellow and never go back.

IMO it's an expensive battery so why not order it from a vendor on the forum and pay a few dollars shipping rather than go to the chain stores. With gas what it is it's probably the same money.

Last edited:
Pluton said:
They also make a D31A yellow series which is larger/higher cap but is slightly too large for the stock batt tray. That said, I've been using the standard group 34 red tops(with 1" blocks underneath)...no winches or heavy power drainers...the older of the two is almost 7 years old now...still fine.

I ran a single Optima YT D31A in the stock battery tray in my 60 before I went dual and swapped the stock trays for stainless. It fit fine, but I did need a modified holddown strap to accomodate the slightly higher top.

These are incredible batteries.

M

5 years and counting on a red top -- still going strong!

-db-

Well, I picked up a D34M for 140.00 on the base. Should be go to go now.

Thanks for the input!!!

Cruiserdrew said:
Check the specs. Identical to yellow tops with improved vibration resistance. What's not to love?
I'm going to resurrect this thread to pass on some information straight from Optima's customer service people...

I emailed them asking what the difference was between a Yellow Top and a Blue Top. Here's what I got back:

Technically, there is no difference between the BlueTop deep cycle and a YellowTop of the same size. They will perform exactly the same. The difference between them is the post configuration. The BlueTop's come with both the standard SAE posts and a set of 5/16" threaded stainless posts.

Also, the warranty on the BlueTop is longer since it is for seasonal RV/marine applications. The BlueTop has an 18 month free replacement warranty, 18 months prorate. The YellowTop carries 12 months free replacement, 12 months prorate.
Straight from the horse's mouth, the only difference is warranty, due to anticipated use. I will definitely buy Blue Tops instead of Yellow Tops because the warranty is 50% longer! This doesn't change Drew's recommendation for the Blue Top, but it's good information to know anyway...

Alex

I recomend the Exide Orbital ever the Optima. I run a pair of the Extremes in my fj60, love em.

whats the diff between the blue and the RED?? -=other sean

Red is for max cranking power - Blue and yellow are designed for use in situations where they get drained. Winching, lights, trolling motor. etc

I will NEVER own a red top again. I run Orbitals as the primary and Blue tops as 2nd batt. There is also a blue starting and blue deep. Check it for your application.

Landpimp said:
I recomend the Exide Orbital ever the Optima. I run a pair of the Extremes in my fj60, love em.
Exide is an optima. they are made in the same factory..

gulp3000 said:
Blue and yellow are designed for use in situations where they get drained.
Not exactly true... Blue is the MARINE designation. It means they've got SAE posts as well as stainless screw-on terminals. There's a blue-top starting battery and a blue-top deep-cycle battery.

http://optimabatteries.com/ has all the details. Look in "Automotive" and "Marine" sections. Each has a technical specs link on the left side.

so, the blue deep is what yall are runnin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom