87 Delux pickup with bad frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H2o

Threads
I have an 87 mini truck that has a rotted out frame. The rear passenger spring hanger ripped off the frame at an event two years back. I am looking at options, either reinforce the frame, or cutting off behind cab and splicing another frame. Has anyone grafted another vehicle frame to the rear of a mini? Idea was to extend wheel base a little in process...

IMG_4306.JPG

I went through the exact same problem on my '85 mini. Appears to be a frame design flaw. Lance (the then Rock Lobster) repaired the entire section with new steel plates and all was well after that until the section under the cab crumbled from thumb pressure. He even reused the spring hanger by cutting it off and rewelding it back after the repair. All without removing the springs! He used my stock jack to push the front end of the rear spring out of the way!

You're more than skilled enough to pull the bed and replace the bad metal.

Another thought remount on another toyota frame say a 55,60,62 anything is possible. Do some measuring something close and go for it using your old mounts if still good. Not as bad as you would think and faster than building a new one.

The only problem with swappping a different frame would be the VIN number. Some people do it and just don't care but if you try and move into a state that does checks you'll fail the inspection. You can get a new VIN after an inspection though, but your title may not be a clear title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom