87 carb wont idle below 1500 without dying, help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I should introduce myself to furm first:

I'm 20 years old from los angles, I have always loved preety much any vintage/classic/muscle/performance car. I always liked the toyotas cause I saw them go miles the chevy/ford counterparts could only do without replacing 5 times the parts, I still love them but I'd rather drive somthing relaible even if I go vintage.

so heres my situation:
I'm fixing up a 87 4 speed with the carb (I don't know any designation codes sorry) it has just under 90K on it and a bit of rust (currently fixing) I got the car for near nothing and the rust paint is going to cost me very little.

I'm driving up and down some steep hills and the thing is climbing up and down like magic 1 mile later I stop at a light and she dies I pull over and fiddle with the choke and she will only idle @+1500 RPM, also its twice as hard to start. the wiring/sparks are good on original inspection HOWEVER: earlier I put some gas treatment in the tank what I'm told is pure ethanol, I'm also told its hydrophillic (absorbs water) a mechanic friend of mine told me it was probably just some water int he tank the carb will pass. Does it sound like these things are gas problems? Any reccomendations? I have a small road trip coming up in a week and have the time to fix the thing.

you might check your vacuum hoses for leaks.

As above plus more:
idle cut off solenoid
vac hoses
choke functioning correctly (coudl be stuck)
fast idle lever can get stuck (see haynes manual for location)

Definately get a haynes manual for the rig and read the section you are interested very carefully.

YOu might even take it to a toyota garage for a once over to get you started. It shoudl cost about 75$ for them to make a list of all the stuff that needs to be done then prioritize and get to work.

By the way, welcome to the forum! :beer:

Or...?

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Replaced the Idle Solenoid, tested the new one too cause it still wouldnt idle. Checked vacuum hoses, all ok. Fast idle fine, choke great... who the hell knows.

Ended up buying a used Weber for a song and a dance, tossed it on, desmogged and never had problems. Still have NO idea what went wrong with it.

Someone told me there was an "idle computer" somewhere (mine is a 1984) but by then I already did the swap.

First vote is for the idle solenoid here too. Also Check the big hose at the back of the side cover. If it pops off, you'll have a MASSIVE vacuum leak. :eek:

FYI, I have a cruiser shop in Burbank . ;)

stinkyfj60 said:
Or...?

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Replaced the Idle Solenoid, tested the new one too cause it still wouldnt idle. Checked vacuum hoses, all ok. Fast idle fine, choke great... who the hell knows.

Ended up buying a used Weber for a song and a dance, tossed it on, desmogged and never had problems. Still have NO idea what went wrong with it.

Someone told me there was an "idle computer" somewhere (mine is a 1984) but by then I already did the swap.

it wasnt that idle soleniod was bad it was that the ground was bad too it.

I also had the same problem and the idle jets in the carb were clogged solid not allowing any fuel thru at idle, above about 1500-1700 everything was just fine.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom