87 22re engine replacing 85 22re in 4runner

greenseaman

SILVER Star
Website
www.lowcountrylandcruisers.com
I got a 87 22re out of a 3/4 ton camper that had been transformed into a wrecker to replace my 85 22re that I locked up. I got the computer and most of the sensors and wiring out of the 87. It had a 5 speed and my 85 has an automatic. I was wondering if I could use most of the sensors and all from the 87 and if it would plug right up. Also does anybody know if I should use the computer from the 5 speed 87 or the 85. Does the transmission make any difference with the computer? I'm not much of a mechanic, my brother will be doing most of the work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:)

use the 87 engine, but stick to your injectors and sensors, then you do not have to worry about, the other computer or wiring.
i do not know if the computers are different or not between a 5 speed and automatic, but you can compare the numbers on the computer box, and that will let you know if they are different.

Auto and manual computers are different. I remember reading somwhere that sticking an auto computer into a 5 speed equipped truck is actually a performance upgrade. IIRC, it was on the Pirate board.

Hmmm....I drove my friends 87 with a 5-speed swapped into it but it was originally an auto...and still had the auto tranny computer im sure

Oh,by the way strip the new 87 motor down to basically a longblock and use ALL your original wiring,emmisions crap,sensors etc.......youll thank yourself later

You might wanna do a HG and timing set on the new motor too.....i just put a "new" "93" motor in a friends 89 to replace his knocking engine,only to have the new engine have a blown HG.....but a $40 head set and a few hours later and its runnin good now!

greenseaman

SILVER Star
Website
www.lowcountrylandcruisers.com
Finally got the engine in today! Thanks for all the help guys! We used wads of wet paper and a 8mm socket to get the pilot bearing out. What a neat trick that I found on youtube... We did have to switch out the fuel injectors and used the 85 EFI stuff and wiring harness. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks for everything. I'm heading up to GSMTR in Sparta, TN in a little bit and we'll see how it holds up:)

I've used the wet paper trick as well w/ great results. Another method I've seen is to pump grease into the hole to push it out. I prefer the paper method 'cuz clean up is easier.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom