865's or stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this topic has been discussed a few times on this forum and I have read a lot! Just trying to get all of your comments and recommendations in one thread. Current set-up-BIOR-sliders, rear bump and front bump w/winch. I do carry 6 passengers a couple times a week, pull my boat (3500)during summer and the RTT/awning on the roof (maybe trailer soon) with camping gear as well from spring to fall. If I end up with a trailer for the rtt then I will only have that weight when I hook up to go camp. So, I have the 865's in the garage ready to install, I also plan to order factory shocks as well. Do I stick with the 865's and stock shocks or do I go with stock springs/shocks and add a rear spacer? I have already cranked the tb's once, need to check and see what height the front is at, I don't want to be too tall in the rear and have to max out the front tb's. It currently rides and drives well, empty or with passengers. But with the RTT on last year and no rear bumper at that time, I could tell the factory suspension was due a upgrade or update. Thanks for you input, post pics of your setup!

I just replaced the stock springs on my '07 with 865s last summer. Totally stock, with the only added weight being a drawer-less cargo box in the back. I tow a very light drift boat (<1200 lbs.) and I am barely happy with the 865s. When I added camping gear for a family of three and strapped the boat on, the rear squats down quite a bit still. I have Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks and cranked the OEM torsion bars a bit to get it to sit with the right amount of rake, but when fully loaded, even the 865s are just barely acceptable, in my opinion. The unladen ride is great, but I would look at a heavier spring rate spring if I were to ever add more armor in the rear.

I just replaced the stock springs on my '07 with 865s last summer. Totally stock, with the only added weight being a drawer-less cargo box in the back. I tow a very light drift boat (<1200 lbs.) and I am barely happy with the 865s. When I added camping gear for a family of three and strapped the boat on, the rear squats down quite a bit still. I have Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks and cranked the OEM torsion bars a bit to get it to sit with the right amount of rake, but when fully loaded, even the 865s are just barely acceptable, in my opinion. The unladen ride is great, but I would look at a heavier spring rate spring if I were to ever add more armor in the rear.

This^

Fully loaded with all rows it was fine. If I were to tow, my idea is to add air bags to compensate for the rear sag. I did contemplate with 1.5" heavys but didn't know if they would be over kill as I don't tow or have armor.

From my experience with the 865s, and the description of you vehicle and its use, I'd suspect that you'd be better off with the 865s than the stock springs with spacers, and have to wonder if the 865s might be a little soft and/or short for the uses that you've described, but I guess that would depend on how much you've cranked the torsion bars.

I don't think the amount you crank the torsion bars is the issue. The 865 would be a big improvement over the stock springs, but the amount you crank the torsion bars is sort of decided for you by how much the rear springs lift the back end. You are constrained by the droop requirements of the suspension and the rake demanded by the IFS system to keep the ride quality enjoyable. The issue I have with the 865 isn't the height or the ride. Both are great for my uses most of the time. My complaint with them is the compression I get in loading the truck up with gear and/or the boat. As soon as the back squats down, all my careful rake/droop measurements are out the window. I thought about airbags, but might just go with the heavier spring rate 866 springs. We'll see.

I don't think the amount you crank the torsion bars is the issue. The 865 would be a big improvement over the stock springs, but the amount you crank the torsion bars is sort of decided for you by how much the rear springs lift the back end. You are constrained by the droop requirements of the suspension and the rake demanded by the IFS system to keep the ride quality enjoyable. The issue I have with the 865 isn't the height or the ride. Both are great for my uses most of the time. My complaint with them is the compression I get in loading the truck up with gear and/or the boat. As soon as the back squats down, all my careful rake/droop measurements are out the window. I thought about airbags, but might just go with the heavier spring rate 866 springs. We'll see.

I agree , we've had the same experience with the 865s. What I was trying to say was, that the amount that you've cranked the torsion bars determines if you have your headlights pointed at the sky with any sort of load in back. We swapped 860s for 865s on my son's truck because we liked the spring rate of the 865s 98% of the time, but hated the "nose up" stance when we put any sort of a load in the rear, the 860s fixed the problem for us. No "unloaded F250/F350" ride when unloaded, and no "headlights to the sky" when loaded, but unlike the OP my son's vehicle is still running the factory rear bumper.

This^

Fully loaded with all rows it was fine. If I were to tow, my idea is to add air bags to compensate for the rear sag. I did contemplate with 1.5" heavys but didn't know if they would be over kill as I don't tow or have armor.
Buc,
Your saying 865's and airbags? I thought about airbags prior to buying the 865's but after doing some reading it "seemed" like a little more trouble and issues than what I wanted to deal with. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!!

You have the 865's already. Install thenm and see if you like them. The factory spring rates is 170lbs/in. You can get the 865 rate online. The springs carry the weight but the shocks are over-matched, then you should get high-damping shocks. If the rear rides fine with the 865, but the rear is low, add spacers.

Buc,
Your saying 865's and airbags? I thought about airbags prior to buying the 865's but after doing some reading it "seemed" like a little more trouble and issues than what I wanted to deal with. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!!

Yes. That's what i plan on if I ever get that camper. Lol

The 865 year is fine for DD and even loaded with passengers. They rode great. But they would suffer with passengers and towing. Beyond their capabilities.

You have the 865's already. Install thenm and see if you like them. The factory spring rates is 170lbs/in. You can get the 865 rate online. The springs carry the weight but the shocks are over-matched, then you should get high-damping shocks. If the rear rides fine with the 865, but the rear is low, add spacers.
The 865's are 220lbs/in, I have here on mud where several stayed with factory shocks and a aftermarket spring and liked he results, but I may need to look into a different shock as well.

Any other thoughts, recommendations?

You'd probably be ok with the OEM shocks with the 865s, especially if you aren't wheeling it hard and flexing it to the limits. I love my Ironman Foam Cell Pros, though. They fit great with the 865 springs, allow for a ton of droop if you wheel it at all, and allow for other spring lengths down the road. Great shock for the money.

Reading through here, consensus seems to be 865s with stock shocks ride great with no or moderate loads. Laden with a trailer and /or armor they compress too much to be comfortable. Headlights at the sky…

Seems like 860s provided a good blend both loaded and not for jLB. Was that with factory shocks or other?

Reading through here, consensus seems to be 865s with stock shocks ride great with no or moderate loads. Laden with a trailer and /or armor they compress too much to be comfortable. Headlights at the sky…

Seems like 860s provided a good blend both loaded and not for jLB. Was that with factory shocks or other?

With what I would consider a “reasonable” load, on a relative lightweight 100, the 860 springs have been fine. I have no plans to swap springs on that vehicle.

On my other two 100 series, I’m running 860 equivalent dual rate springs, similar to the OME 866 spring rates, in OME 860 height.

I have not run OE Tokico shocks with OME springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom