Builds 86 Xtra Cab Build (4Wheelunderground 3 link front, 4 link rear and 3.4 swap) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm glad you got my back Broski. ;)

Is there a better way for me to load pics off my phone without being so dang HUGE?

I guess I can use my camera, upload to my computer, resize and then post. I was liking being able to avoid all that and just use my phone. Go easy on me, I'm OLD. Well, getting old.

I got it welded up. Man what a challenge. This is a first for me. I'm NOT a body man. I've welded small sheet metal parts with oxy/acetylene and TIG but, never this much metal or with my MIG.

A friend recommended .023 esab easy grind wire so that's what I used. I was pretty careful with my cut so I had a pretty good fit. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a 3/64 thick cutting wheel.

It took me a little while to get my welder setting just right. So I basically did spot welds at key locations to ensure proper panel alignment. Actually the entire job is spot welds. Took forever. I used a hammer and dolly as I welded to avoid warping.

The areas I had trouble with is a couple places my cut was off leaving a gap. The bent floor was a bear to line up. I stood on it and also used a 20# hammer.

It's going to need some filler for sure but, overall I'm happy with the result. I still have to grind the welds on the ribbed floor. I got rained out. I had to cut the rear of the frame to set the bed down.

I originally wanted to go shorter. If I keep my Chevy springs, shorter won't work. I think it looks odd too much shorter so I'm good with my decision to take off a foot. I want to stop the tail dragging but, still look like a Toyota pickup.

IMG_20210715_181226337.jpg

IMG_20210715_141402881.jpg

IMG_20210715_142029583.jpg

IMG_20210715_144359149.jpg

I got it welded up. Man what a challenge. This is a first for me. I'm NOT a body man. I've welded small sheet metal parts with oxy/acetylene and TIG but, never this much metal or with my MIG.

A friend recommended .023 esab easy grind wire so that's what I used. I was pretty careful with my cut so I had a pretty good fit. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a 3/64 thick cutting wheel.

It took me a little while to get my welder setting just right. So I basically did spot welds at key locations to ensure proper panel alignment. Actually the entire job is spot welds. Took forever. I used a hammer and dolly as I welded to avoid warping.

The areas I had trouble with is a couple places my cut was off leaving a gap. The bent floor was a bear to line up. I stood on it and also used a 20# hammer.

It's going to need some filler for sure but, overall I'm happy with the result. I still have to grind the welds on the ribbed floor. I got rained out. I had to cut the rear of the frame to set the bed down.

I originally wanted to go shorter. If I keep my Chevy springs, shorter won't work. I think it looks odd too much shorter so I'm good with my decision to take off a foot. I want to stop the tail dragging but, still look like a Toyota pickup.

View attachment 2733254

View attachment 2733256

View attachment 2733257

View attachment 2733259
You're welds look really good, I learn the hard way slow and patient. If you can't hold your hand on it it's getting to hot.
The spot weld are the way to go. As soon as I layed a bead I got warpage.
Again nice work!!😉

Just updating my thread. Nothing too exciting. I ordered an OEM Toyota timing belt kit for my 3.4 since it's never been done and I'll be swapping it from the 88. I also ordered new seals for my differential pinions, transmission input and output seals, T-case output seals, outer axle seals and rear main seal for the 3.4. They haven't been done since 2010-2012 maybe and I'm starting to see drips.

Last season I resealed the knuckles as well as the front wheel bearings and rear axle bearings and seals so I should be good to go there. I also did the steering box and added power assist, a TG pump and a B&M cooler.

I'm "trying" to time this build so I can still use my 88 for a while. Once I start swapping parts over from the 88, neither truck will be usable for quite some time. Decisions decisions.

Well I promised my 17 year old niece that I would teach her how to drive stick so I had to put the build on hold for a bit. Low range in the 88 was perfect to help her get the feel for the clutch. My brother and his family were visiting from out of state. They're home now so I was FINALLY going to pull the 88 in the garage and start swapping parts to the 86.

Good thing I didn't because I still haven't got my 3 link parts. Another week or two....maybe. I didn't have the money for the coil overs when I placed my order back in June so I ordered them today and asked if I would get them with the rest of the kit. I was told 10 weeks for the coil overs and the rear kit is out of stock so I need to rethink this build a bit. I'm going to keep the 88 on the road for a while yet. I have plenty of other things to do on the 86.

I think for now my priority will be to get the cab floor patched and the trans tunnel modified for the dual cases and triple shifters. Then I'll get the cab painted so its ready for assembly. I need to fab up some motor mounts and a T-case mount. Or buy the one from FROR.

If the availability of the rear 4 link kit is even further out I'll keep my Chevy rear springs in service just so I have my truck usable. With covid, Arizona on fire and now flash flooding causing closures, the past two years were very limited for wheeling trips. I don't want to be down another season.

I should have some progress to post up soon.

Got a start on the floor repair. My buddy took the time to cut a section of floor from another truck but it was very different.

I ended up cutting a piece from the bed side I had left from bobbing it. I did the best I could shaping it with my vise, hammer and dolly and my hands. It's not exact but it's close enough for me. Once it's welded on top I'll flip the cab up and make sure it's welded on the bottom too.
IMG_20210817_175518275.jpg

IMG_20210817_174454735.jpg

IMG_20210817_180103087.jpg

I also fixed the damage at the seat mount. I had to drill out spot welds and raise the bracket for access. I cut out the fractured and badly welded metal. I had some 16 gauge rectangular tubing that fit perfect in the space. It will be much stronger than trying to fit in a flat piece of sheet metal.

Again, not show quality. I'm not much of a body guy and it's a crawler. Plus it's strong and spray in bed liner will be covering it.

That's a magnet in the pic holding it in place.

IMG_20210708_172302379.jpg

IMG_20210824_133419767.jpg

IMG_20210824_133437165.jpg

IMG_20210824_133934492.jpg

IMG_20210824_151735340.jpg

Man this thing is going to be great. You are doing super clean work. I love bobbed trucks.

Thanks, I'm excited to get moving into the good stuff. I really need to get the cab prepped and painted. Paying for a paint job is not in my budget. To save time I got some quotes to media blast the cab. Lowest was $600. No thanks. That's one coil over.

Looks like I have a LOT of sanding to do unless I find a better deal on the media blast. My plan is to get the inside and the jambs painted as well as the engine compartment. Once that's done I can start on assembly.

What BlueCruiser84 said! This is a fun one to watch come (back) to life. Are you sticking with the blue? What's the length of the bed now?

My wife and I like the color of my 88. I think its 033 white. It's not definite but most likely. I took 12" out of the bed. Shorter would have been even better for the steep stuff I frequent but it just looks weird. I'm hoping for a baddass rig that still looks like a Toyota pickup.

I agree on the length. When I was designing the flatbed, I looked at LOTS of flatbeds and bobbed beds. The super short ones just looked odd - especially with the Xtra cab. I landed on 70" long (6" shorter than factory) in the middle, and 55" where the corners make the cut in. So from the side, it's got enough length to keep the proportions, but the cut corners give it a bit more departure for all but straight on stuff. You know, for when I hit those groomed gravel roads ;)

I finally got "some" of my 3 link parts. Nice stuff!

I'm still waiting for the joints, coilovers and air bumps. Going to be a while.

I still need to get the cab painted anyway. The floor is fixed. Lots of prep and get some paint on it. Monstaliner probably going on the floor. I also have another project I HAVE to get done.

IMG_20210909_124735590.jpg

IMG_20210909_124744633.jpg

IMG_20210909_125254465.jpg

IMG_20210909_125316050.jpg

I finally got "some" of my 3 link parts. Nice stuff!

I'm still waiting for the joints, coilovers and air bumps. Going to be a while.

I still need to get the cab painted anyway. The floor is fixed. Lots of prep and get some paint on it. Monstaliner probably going on the floor. I also have another project I HAVE to get done.

View attachment 2782235

View attachment 2782236

View attachment 2782237

View attachment 2782238
Most definitely nice. For a yota the best IMHO. That stuff is like Art and works even better.
Theirs a 4runner in our group running 4WU front and back the Reg is incredibly capable, definitely the leader of the pack !!
Liking were this build is going, keep the posts coming :cheers:

Last edited:
Damn... looks like someone takes pride in their work! Those welds.

I got some more parts today. The Summit Machine flex joints. Still waiting for the coilovers and air bumps but, I NEED to get going on this build.

I hustled in the beginning then backed off when I found out my parts would be delayed. I didn't want to take my 88 down if that is the case. I've been doing some local wheeling, camping and boating.

So I HAD my garage cleared out so I had room to bring the 88 alongside. A couple weeks ago I bought an old milling machine and I have it apart in THE spot I need clear for the 88. Almost got it back together. Maybe done this week. I hope. I'll get back on the build right after I get the mill back together. I might be needing it for the build anyway.

Here's a couple pics.

IMG_20210914_201955680~2.jpg

IMG_20210814_154901290~2.jpg

IMG_20210914_161826879.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom