Builds 86 Xtra Cab Build (3 Viewers)

Will Van

GOLD Star
Cool build and great work!

I’d love to see details on your 5VZ-FE 3.4 swap. I would like to do the same swap in a ‘79 to ‘83 truck. Did you fab your own engine mounts? How was hood clearance?

I suppose these questions will be answered when you drop the 3.4 in this truck :rofl:

Great job either way. It’s going to be a very cool rig!

I did a VERY detailed swap thread on Yotatech. The post is still there but the pictures are all gone. Unfortunately I lost a lot of the pics in a hard drive crash. I still have some of them though.

I did make my own motor mounts. Very simple. Lowered the engine a little so I could close the hood. The trade off is less clearance before things hit the oil pan. T-100 oil pan by the way.

I might have to cut the hood this time? It all depends on how the 3 link fits. I don't want a body lift. I do want maximum flex so on this build I will probably be cutting some sheet metal. We'll see.

My milling machine project is almost done. Waiting for a bearing. I'm "hoping" to get my garage reorganized tomorrow. Then I'm back on the build.

You can PM me for any questions or I can post up whatever I have to your swap thread if you have one.

Ok, FINALLY finished my milling machine and got it out of the way. I'll probably be putting it to work on this build.

IMG_20211012_101834674.jpg

IMG_20211012_101855070.jpg

Got the front axle on the bench and in position to mount the brackets.

Instructions say to position it so an angle finder on the trunnion bearings reads 6 degrees. The brackets are cut so well that they almost fall into the proper position. Angle finder on top of brackets should read 4 degrees and they did.

Center to center between the lower link flanges should be 34 1/2". Had to shift a bit and tack weld them.

I'll get back on it tomorrow.

IMG_20211013_185826841.jpg

IMG_20211013_185852579.jpg

I'm going to have to get the cab painted ASAP or I'm going to be stuck.

Any body and paint guys on MUD in AZ?

I'd like to do it myself but I'm really not setup to paint. No room mainly. If I can get at least the cab prepped and in primer, I can paint the engine bay and inside the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom