86 Leaking Oil Like a MOFO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 86 60 is puking oil out and I am wondering if there are any places to start. I have ordered a OilPan Gasket and gonna start there but where else should I look? The Galley plug is not leaking and all the oil appears to be below the head. So what do I need to do and where should I start.

Hose it down with a degreaser and get it as clean as you can. It'll be a lot easier to find where the leak(s) are coming from. Then you can address where to start.
:beer:

X2. Clean it up good. Get a good bright light in there, too.

Thats the plan for tonight. I have the aftermarket oilpan gasket ordered. Gonna just drive the 40 tomorrow and start the teardown on the 60.....if it ends up being to much stuff......I may just throw a 350 in

Ok heres the fun part....it doesn't leak all day nor does it leak driving...it leaks after I park it and let it sit between 30 and 90 minutes it does all the leaking it is going to do and then just drips a little bit. Near the rear of the motor....directly under drain plug. Any ideas? Ordered a OEM Sidecover gasket and oil pan gasket. should I just go ahead and pull the trans at the same time? What is involved with that?

If it's directly under the drain plug, you may have a partially stripped plug/pan or a defective plug gasket. It sounds as though you have other leaks up above, but it wouldn't hurt to throw a new plug and gasket on there.

Brad

Ok heres the fun part....it doesn't leak all day nor does it leak driving...it leaks after I park it and let it sit between 30 and 90 minutes it does all the leaking it is going to do and then just drips a little bit. Near the rear of the motor....directly under drain plug. Any ideas? Ordered a OEM Sidecover gasket and oil pan gasket. should I just go ahead and pull the trans at the same time? What is involved with that?

check the bottom of your fuel pump, sometimes the diaphram will make it spit. usually under load at speed.. that one is hard to diagnose. check the plug in the back pass side of the head somewhere kinda above plug #5. And check to see if the oil pan skid plate has popped a spot weld.

If it's directly under the drain plug, you may have a partially stripped plug/pan or a defective plug gasket. It sounds as though you have other leaks up above, but it wouldn't hurt to throw a new plug and gasket on there.

Brad

Plan on throwing a whole new pan in it just due to a pin hole that was welded up by the PO with JBWeld lol. so new plug and plug gasket. Once I have the oil pan out how can I diagnose the Rearmain seal?

There seems to be a common thread of regret on the part of those that have used the aftermarket oil pan gaskets. You might want to consider using the Toyota gasket so you don't have to replace it again. And make sure you use a torque wrench when you tighten the oil pan bolts. If you don't you will break one or more off, and then you will be dealing with that.

I had a few small drips in mine that were showing up around the front diff...the pressure relief spring on the side of the oil cooler was weeping (as was the plug next to it)...backed it out, wrapped it in teflon tape, and reinstalled...

check the bottom of your fuel pump, sometimes the diaphram will make it spit.

are you saying look at the pan gasket under the fuel pump, or is there a gasket btw the pump and the block that can leak?

??? update?

:bounce:yes there are multiple gaskets associated with the fuel pump and oil pump, located between the equiptment and engine block...

I would guess that the likely culprit is the hole in the oil pan.
additionally I have read (check the FAQ(u) section!:eek:) that it is good to use the original cork gaskets and coat them LIGHTLY with liquid gasket sealer and let it dry overnight, then install. probably be good to do for any gasket.

SLCFJ62 is right, use the right torque wrench (it is metric i think??) or you will be tapping and dyeing.

i would say do what has bee stated above, and reassess. it is hard to diagnose the rear main, and also there is a gasket on the input shaft of the trans i beleive that it could also be???

check the FAQ and search thread tools:bounce2:

What I was saying is if you take apart a cruiser rebuildable fuel pump there is a diaphram in the bottom. when the truck is running it's pumping up and down. there is a rubber gasket below the spring in the baffle in the fuel pump. if that gasket goes bad when it's running down the road or leaning hard to the right or pointing down hard it leaks like a mo-fo.. sitting and idling no it won't leak. Look at the bottom of the fuel pump and you'll see the weep hole. I have a dead pump at the house and can try and post a picture this weekend. Not sure if i have picture posting abilities or not but probably need to pay up.

Update...got my new gaskets in from Capitol Toyota. Gonna drop the pan tonight and weld up the pinhole at the shop tomorrow. Going to go ahead and do the side cover tonight.....it looks pretty straight forward so I am sure I will mess something up doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom