Builds '86 Grand Wagoneer build, wife's rig

• Thread starter BMThiker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 25
O

OregonOverlande

Me too. Went with AMC360 build and fitech kit.

06078F4A 59BA 4D68 8290 6CCBDD764ADA

BMThiker

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Hoses acquired and installed. Fuel sender parts updated too. Drive shafts installed but noticed one of the u-bolt straps is stripped.

A82DB28D 0D3A 402E 9C0B B9A43DDA0FBF

035275F6 B575 4257 9A8F 3EF4F0EC4C5D

DB7F3DD2 409A 4D47 80F5 FE6971C54E43

0890AB65 2849 4CF0 B3D5 0BEB68234B30

B694C292 B312 4A04 8F53 C6A4CED86F3C

ntsqd

ntsqd

technerd
The donor truck, had it been 4WD, what transfer case would it have had? Being a GM IFS truck it would be LHD, but perhaps in danger of being too large to fit under the Cherokee.

I had a '79 Chief for a short while. It was too rusty to save, rode like a tank, drank fuel like a tank, but I loved that truck.

BMThiker

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
@cruiserinsanity I need to replace the TPS and splice it into the new transmission controller. Unfortunately she's still on the lift at the moment. Hoping to get back into it after the holidays.

BMThiker

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Well, on Saturday I was able to move all the other truck/car parts that had accumulated under the truck while on the lift. Once I got her back down to ground level, I located the TPS and with the help of a wiring diagram identified the proper signal (blue) and ground wires.
IMG 2734

Wiring harness from the 6L80E processor. Yellow/blk stripe goes to blue, black/wh stripe goes to black.
NSRO2404

Reloomed, hangs over the air intake mani and attaches to firewall.
IMG 2740

Found some other things that need addressing before firing her up. The gas tank vent lines are still factory and just come out as two rubber lines up the firewall near the heater core. Gotta be a better way to terminate those. They did go into a Y connector that ended in a single rubber hose. The ends of all of them were gummy and falling apart. I removed the Y and trimmed them back to cleaner ends. Not sure what to do with them.
IMG 2742

Need to fix the radiator leak, get a new battery, top of fluids, re-design the e-brake bracket that went through the old transmission cross member support...

BILT4ME

BILT4ME

Well, on Saturday I was able to move all the other truck/car parts that had accumulated under the truck while on the lift. Once I got her back down to ground level, I located the TPS and with the help of a wiring diagram identified the proper signal (blue) and ground wires.
View attachment 2863916

Wiring harness from the 6L80E processor. Yellow/blk stripe goes to blue, black/wh stripe goes to black.
View attachment 2863917

Reloomed, hangs over the air intake mani and attaches to firewall.
View attachment 2863918

Found some other things that need addressing before firing her up. The gas tank vent lines are still factory and just come out as two rubber lines up the firewall near the heater core. Gotta be a better way to terminate those. They did go into a Y connector that ended in a single rubber hose. The ends of all of them were gummy and falling apart. I removed the Y and trimmed them back to cleaner ends. Not sure what to do with them.
View attachment 2863940

Need to fix the radiator leak, get a new battery, top of fluids, re-design the e-brake bracket that went through the old transmission cross member support...
If they just terminate as open vent lines, then poke a fuel filter in them, place about another foot of hose on the other end of the filter and turn it so it points down in order to protect it from water running in there, but still allowing vapors to vent. Kinda like a differential vent.

ntsqd

ntsqd

technerd
^^^ The fuel tank vent on the avatar was done like that, and it hung barely in view behind the RF tire. Imagine my surprise when a guy next to me at a stop-light was frantically calling my attention to the fact that my "fuel filter was disconnected!!!"