86 4runner Parking Brake Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devilmans Hand

TLCA #19517
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
Hello everyone

I just picked up an 86 4runner that has a snapped parking brake cable. Every parts source i can find has the option for left or right side parking brake cable. Mine is snapped just after the bracket on the driver side rear.
IMG_20110504_215802.jpg

There is one sleeved cable running along the passenger side frame toward the parking brake lever. I just want to make sure that it is the left cable that i need to order and not the right cable or both cables that i need to order.
What i have closer matches the description of the minitruck parking brake cable rather the description i can find of the 4runner parking brake cable.
It looks like one cable comes off the parking brake handle and connects into the driver side parking brake after passing through that bracket, while the passenger side cable connects at that little split at the bracket and is pulled whenever the driver side cable is moved. This is just a guess though. I'm new to this truck.

Can anyone please give some insight? I need to replace this asap to pass safety inspection.
Both cables are about $40 each, but i find it hard that the little 2' section of cable could cost that much.

DMH

There are really only 2 cables, the front cable (goes from the Handle to a lever just in front of the gas tank) and the rear cable (From front of gas tank to both rear wheels) The Coil sprung 4Runners (1990+) Have 3, a front, rear Left and rear Right cables, your 86 does not, it should be the same cable as the short bed pickup.

I don't think you can get around replacing the whole thing because of where it broke...

Make sure you get one for an 86-89 4Runner the 84 and 85 have a narrower axle and the cable is not the same width...
Brake cable.jpg

Last edited:
Revive this thread.

I tried to order the cable in the diagram above for my ‘89 4runner from an online Toyota parts source, but was told it was discontinued. Like the original poster when I search Rockauto for a 4runner cable they give me he option of a “left” and “right”. If I search for an ‘87 pickup cable the pictures look correct.

To confirm, a pickup cable from ‘86 on up should work, right? Or I should quit using Rockauto?

They probably think the 89 is part of the 90-95 body style. As I recall, any 84-88 standard cab, shortbed pickup or 84-89 4Runner should have the same cable setups.

That’s what I figured. But I looked up the ‘86, ‘87 and ‘88 just to be sure and it had the same right/left listed.

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe I’ll just go through my local guys so I can return it easily if needed.

Shortbed pickup should be the same.

are you sure? wiki lists standard cab short bed pickup wheelbase as 103", xtra cab longbed as 121.5", and the standard cab longbed and 4runner as 112". but when trying to order the rear cable only one is listed for pickups - no differentiation for different wheelbase lengths. this leads me to think that the length difference is in the front cable [which doesn't make sense logically to me]?

that info coupled with the fact that the 4runner has the same wheelbase as the standard cab longbed pickup leads me to believe its a good gamble that the pickup rear cable will fit the 4runner. now, if there were different pickup cables I would be trying to make sure I was getting a standard cab longbed.

agree? [prior to me making a $100 order 🤔]

Last edited:
I still have difficulty believing this one part fits all three truck lengths from that year.

thank you for the link - they don't accept my 4runner VIN#? so I entered a short bed vin that I found online and asked the above question. i'm guessing they won't answer that precise question but will reply that that part number fits the VIN# I provided.

I also called a dismantler and they said the lengths are different [and will only sell cable with complete rear axle assembly.

should know in a couple days what Toyotapartsdeal has to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom