1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

86 320i BMW

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sand rider, Aug 1, 2005.

1. sand rider

sand rider

does anyone here have some info on bimmers? because i might buy and old one to fix and sell, but im not sure if its worth it?

jonathan // sandrider

2. cbmontgo

cbmontgo SILVER Star

Well, we have owned several. The old 320s are sweet, and you can still get them for a really reasonable price. I have been on the lookout for a 2002 as well (early 1970s model). I know this isn't a real answer to your question, but BMW has always made a really quality car that never loses its style.

I would also like to get a low-mileage 850i from the mid-1990s.

You'd be surprised the mileage you can get out of one if you maintain it.....but it still isn't a 'Yota. ;)

Look on Ebay, and look in Cali. You shall find many rust-free ones there. Just my $ .02.

Carson

3. rgsiii

rgsiii

I had a 1981 320i and it was likely made during the Oktoberfest. It was a nightmare.

4. Stone

Stone Moderator

Hey Carson:

I was just looking at the local rag here in BC, and I saw a 1976 BMW 2002 for sale. Here's the description:

"1976 BMW 2002: project car, drive a classic next summer. $1000 (CAD)"

Seller info: Frontier Motors Ltd. 8566 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC.
    Tel. (604) 681-2923.

Sorry, no website. I don't know anything about this car or the dealer, but thought I would pass the info along. The picture shows a nice looking 2-door coupe, but the description would lead me to believe that the car would need resto or mechanical work.

Cheers.

5. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

An 86 320i is a european-only model. Is it a 2.0 straight six or a 4 cylinder? Euro BMW's are pretty cool, but harder to get parts for and sometimes harder to sell. I work for a mail order company that sells BMW parts exclusively. And I have fixed up a couple older BMW's myself. To make much on an older non-collectable BMW, you would have to get it pretty much for free. A friend of mine here has bought a few 85-87 325's for a few hundred a piece. Typically drives them for a few months, fixes whats broken and sells them for less than a grand to buy the next one. 5 years ago I sold a beautiful 85 325e that had the works. Chip,intake,exhaust,bilsteins,eibachs,swaybars,stressbars,nice stereo,fresh paint,short shifter, nice new aftermarket wheels/tires, really clean black leather sport interior, etc. It took me forever to sell it for $3500 and I probably had 6 grand into the car. 80's 3 series are a dime a dozen. Not that they aren't great cars, theres just a lot of them out there.

6. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

bmw's (especially that era) are (in my experience) money holes - even more so than any other car. Parts are expensive and non-stop problems. (86 533i in my case)