850/863 + 285's = roof height? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking for the last 6 mos, and haven't turned up this answer in the faq or search. I was hoping somebody could help.

Question: If you have 850/863 springs with 285/75's, can you pull into a standard 7' high residential garage? W/ or w/o out roofrack?

I trust experience vs. measuring. I've already got a couple of jeeps that are parked outside so improving another vehicle so that it won't fit in the garage isn't really an option.....Thanks in advance....Eric

I could, but I don't have a factory roofrack.

After a few months, the spings settle a little and it's less and less of an issue.

I would say yes. My '97 with J's F&R and 35" TRXUS MT's will just barely squeek in a standard door. It has the factory roof rack. :)

It will fit for sure!!! I have the slee 6" with 315/75-16 tires without the roof rack and I fit with a few inches to spare without having the rear bumper and spare tire on it yet. I also just put the lift on last week so no setting yet, so I am saying worst case and it still fits no problem.

Well, this is exactly the combo I am running right now! And I know the answer to your question and more as the wifey-poo uses this rig as the errand-runner so she was VERY CONCERNED with which mall parking garages she could and couldn't get into!

To placate I performed real-world testing by driving to 5 or so parking garages and seeing what I could break. Here's what I found:

Testing initially based on the 'clearance hanger' (usually PVC pipe painted with the clearance) and then if I cleared, I cruised the garage to see if I could 'automate' the removal of my factory rack.

An unloaded 97 with 1/2 tank gas, factory roof rack, 850-863 and ARb bull-bar (no winch) is safe in 6'8" and above. 6'6" is marginal and depends on the builder. I made it into a 6'5" garage but then there was a 6'7" that I couldn't make.

I suppose I could've just measured by my testing also proved one other important fact; the builders idea of 6'6" differs from garage to garage! So by checking the wife's favorite haunts I could avoid 'disagreements' later!

:beer:

Eric T said:
I've been lurking for the last 6 mos, and haven't turned up this answer in the faq or search. I was hoping somebody could help.

Question: If you have 850/863 springs with 285/75's, can you pull into a standard 7' high residential garage? W/ or w/o out roofrack?

Yes, with springs + roof rack + 305/70tires + 1 inch coil packers up front.

EDIT: 83 inch garage opening.

Last edited:
I've got BFG AT 295's, and I had to move the flag on my garage door opener A LOT. The opener now has to pull against the assist spring to make the door high enough. I have an older (circa 1972) wooden garage door with steel horizontal braces, so I had to remove the lowest one.

A friend of my wife's was watching the house while we were out of town, and a breaker blew. Well, she saw what she thought was the breaker box in the garage on the other side of the cruiser, so she pulled the e-release and opened the garage door )to it's natural up position) and backed the cruiser half way out.... SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!!

A friend just had a house built and he tapped the brakes on the way in and it bumped the garage door. It fits w/ about 3" to spare in my dad's new house.

would it not be easy to measure the rig's height as is and then simply add or subtract inches for lift and tires and rack?

Just measured mine:

6'6" to roof top
7'0" to top of Saris roof rack and bike holder.

Running Toyo M/T 285/75-16's, OME J's, with 1" spacers up front, everything else stock and 1/4 tank of fuel.

My LC has the same combination and a 7' garage door. It fits with a couple of inches to spare. I put on a Slee HiLift Jack mount on my factory roof rack and then it wouldn't fit.

I am glad I didn't go with the 315s or I would have to have given my wife her parking spot in the garage back. Cruiser is more important than the Camry!

850J front, 864 rear, 305/70/16 tyres, no rack, vehicle weight 6,400 lbs +/-.

Pronounced forward rake, highest point of roof at rear, 78 inches.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom