850/863 + 1" spacer. Will I notice lost travel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Slight redundancy to a thread I started previously, but...

I'm on the verge of adding spacers (30mm front, 25mm rear) to my 850/863 OME springs. With all the bumpers, winches, sliders, etc. etc., I'm starting to feel a small loss in lift. Plus, I just have general lift-envy right now :D .
Yeah, I'd like to run 315's someday, and I realize that 850/863s + spacers is not the best way to clear 315's, but new tires are far enough in the future that I may be able to reevaluate my entire lift by that time anyway.

My questions:

1. The most important question: Adding 1" spacers makes 1" of shock travel unavailable. Will I notice?

2. Assuming I fabbed up some spring retainers, would I realize any benefit to switching to L-shocks?

3. If I DON'T run L-shocks, I don't need to worry about brake lines and bump stops, right?

4. If I DO run L-shocks, can I get away with modifying the brake line brackets instead of installing longer brake lines?

Thanks.

Hayes

1. The most important question: Adding 1" spacers makes 1" of shock travel unavailable. Will I notice?

Are you adding the spacers to the springs, or to the bumpstop? If you're adding to the springs, you won't loose any travel, you'll only change the travel from down travel to more up travel.

2. Assuming I fabbed up some spring retainers, would I realize any benefit to switching to L-shocks?

Yes, they have more travel, so you would bennifit, but you do have to bumpstop.

3. If I DON'T run L-shocks, I don't need to worry about brake lines and bump stops, right?

correct.

4. If I DO run L-shocks, can I get away with modifying the brake line brackets instead of installing longer brake lines?

Some have done that. I installed longer lines cause I wanted the bennifit of SS lines.

Are you adding the spacers to the springs, or to the bumpstop? If you're adding to the springs, you won't loose any travel, you'll only change the travel from down travel to more up travel.

Really?
I'm adding spacers to the tops of the coils.
I guess that way it just allows the coil to compress further than it would otherwise, but I figured the designed shock-spring-bumpstop arrangement had the coil pretty much maxing out its compression without spacers. I guess that doesn't really make sense, though.

I run the setup you are describing with 315 BFG M/T. I wheel her pretty hard about 15x a year--I do rub on occasion up front. I added bumpstops in the rear. Currently I have an arb, york, dual batteries, etc. The cruiser is fawking heavy. I think there is a loss of travel but usually with the lockers she will plow through pretty much anything. I added the kit of 3 SS brake lines from the frame to the body. I would recomend purchasing the kit of 4 SS brake lines that go to the calipers as well. I really want to get the slee 6" lift when I can afford it--what bothers me is for the same price I could get something else to wheel the sh!t out of and save the 80 for more expedition type wheeling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom