85 unleaded..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dreamt last night that the vacuum pressure in the gas tank caused by the old charcoal canister was the real reason the carbureted 60's get slightly better gas mileage 😂.

I dreamt last night that the vacuum pressure in the gas tank caused by the old charcoal canister was the real reason the carbureted 60's get slightly better gas mileage 😂.
🤣😊🤣😊😂😄😂

Running amazin....

Saw this in my manual page 121

3DFEEEB9-A385-49CE-99BB-D1672E454C2D.jpeg
73F97C3F-6D9E-4FF8-BA9F-DFA84ACAB878.jpeg

LOL i CALL your 30+ year old manual and RAISE. Doubt manuals were written for 60s at Altitude....its running AMAZING....The team that built the 2F could come to my cabin...tell me not to use 85...and im still using it!

Screenshot_20200124-090900.png
a Research study from cpl years ago from the American Petroleum Institute!!! I prefer .25 cents less a gallon with ZERO disadvantages tyvm!!!

LOL i CALL your 30+ year old manual and RAISE. Doubt manuals were written for 60s at Altitude....its running AMAZING....The team that built the 2F could come to my cabin...tell me not to use 85...and im still using it!

View attachment 2191143a Research study from cpl years ago from the American Petroleum Institute!!! I prefer .25 cents less a gallon with ZERO disadvantages tyvm!!!

I only posted the manual because it points to 87 octane and not 89, 91, 0r 93. I am sure the manual was written for the average fuel market at the time. I'm all in for running the lowest octane you can get you hands on that wont result in ping/knock.

I only posted the manual because it points to 87 octane and not 89, 91, 0r 93. I am sure the manual was written for the average fuel market at the time. I'm all in for running the lowest octane you can get you hands on that wont result in ping/knock.
I think i remembering trying 85 when it was carbed with poor results...altho, that simply cldve been the 3 s***ty csrbs ive had.... Seem to remember some crazy knocking....yet, with the EFI...it has run SPIFFFFY!!! Keeping an eye on MPGs tho...only 1 tank in.

Technically speaking the higher octane fuel should result in poorer fuel economy in a low compression engine like the 2F. The higher octane fuel has less energy and requires a higher igntion temperature which is why it doesn't knock. In either high compression engines or boosted (turbo or supercharger) applications it works better because of the engine design. But the 2F has absolutely zero ability to adapt to different fuel types. At the least it would need an electronic knock sensing ignition to maximize ignition advance that a higher octane would allow....but it doesn't have this.

Technically speaking the higher octane fuel should result in poorer fuel economy in a low compression engine like the 2F. The higher octane fuel has less energy and requires a higher igntion temperature which is why it doesn't knock. In either high compression engines or boosted (turbo or supercharger) applications it works better because of the engine design. But the 2F has absolutely zero ability to adapt to different fuel types. At the least it would need an electronic knock sensing ignition to maximize ignition advance that a higher octane would allow....but it doesn't have this.
Well, my rig ran fine on 87 while carbed....and now runs fun on 87+85 with EFI. Wheres is the 2F affected...at the carb/EFI unit or "deeper" in the engine?

And the EGR... Retuning deoxygenated air to the combustion chamber to slow the burn. It is a complicated way of making low altitude vehicles perform like they are at high altitude.

Well, my rig ran fine on 87 while carbed....and now runs fun on 87+85 with EFI. Wheres is the 2F affected...at the carb/EFI unit or "deeper" in the engine?

I don’t understand what you are asking about where the 2F is affected.

If you mean where does the octane impact an engine then it’s all about how the fuel burns in the combustion chamber. Spark timing is all about setting when you begin the controlled burn of the fuel. And the fuel should burn over a period of time. Knock and ping are what happens when the fuel explodes....burns way to fast.

does anyone remember what the quality of gas was when these rigs were new? especially in some of the 3rd world countries.

I pretty much exclusively use 85 for my 2fe and my 97 Camry here in Utah. I'm trying to think of a gas station that doesn't have it

Still on 2nd tank...no longer/highway trips this tank...just the 18 mile round trip from cabin to car (commuter lot) and back. The MPGs seem to have fallen off sharply.... :/

does anyone remember what the quality of gas was when these rigs were new? especially in some of the 3rd world countries.

Yes. Vehicle manufacturers who sold all over the world (German and Japanese, NOT American) tuned motors to run on worst case camel piss or whatever was available. Especially for a vehicle like a Land Cruiser that was in the bush all over the world. Don't know anything about a Land Rover.

Still on 2nd tank...no longer/highway trips this tank...just the 18 mile round trip from cabin to car (commuter lot) and back. The MPGs seem to have fallen off sharply.... :/

How bad is it? Could it have something to with that exhaust? Seems that headers make that right foot gain weight 😉. My best mpg was 15.4, Ave was12.3 (corrected for 33" tires), before desmog, EFI, etc.

How bad is it? Could it have something to with that exhaust? Seems that headers make that right foot gain weight 😉. My best mpg was 15.4, Ave was12.3 (corrected for 33" tires), before desmog, EFI, etc.
I dnt have much of a heavy foot.... 1s tank was 11.4 mpg or so.

7.897662159 mpg 2nd tank 😜😝😳😳😝😜😳😢😭

2.39 vs 2.69/gallon at 17.452 gallons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom