'85 truck, Steering shaft U Joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the size or have a part number?

Either stock size replacements, or upgraded steering shaft yokes option?

Thanks

I went through this over a decade ago. I was not successful in finding a part number for just the joint. Looking at the digital microfiche it's not sold as a separate part number. The shaft is an assembly. NLA from Toyota. See pic.

I guess you could take one apart, take some measurements, and see if NAPA can match it up.

steering joint.jpg

Thanks. That sucks.

I've thought about taking it apart and pulling some measurements but I dont want to be stuck with a blown apart shaft and no replacement U joint. I have a feeling once I remove the joint(s) they wont go back in and function the way it is now. Might do a prelim still installed set of measurements. See if anything is even in the ballpark.

If I figure out a way to make a custom shaft, would I regret not building it with a rag joint?

Wonder if theres a dorman shaft available with proper ends or proper-ish ends that can be modified for length/whatver.

Oh yeah, the truck as an IFS box in it. Are those the same spline size/count as the original '85 box? I didnt do the swap, not 100% sure what needs to be changed with an IFS box swap.

Could possibly be looking into newer era Toyota's if something is still available. And mod length to fit. Depends if they changed the spline/yoke.

Splines are the same. Shafts are not. They more or less, interchange.

IFS shaft is longer. I pushed my box as far forward as possible so I needed the extra length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom