85 FJ60 too far gone? Advice Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advice from this experienced group. Seller wants $8500 for this 85 FJ60. The rust looks really bad and have been told this one is too far gone. Engine runs okay. Need some advice. Thank you for the comments!

85FJ40 Rust

Morning David, I see that you live in New Hope, I grew up in Warrington, went to school in Buckingham. I spent a lot of time in and around New Hope, is John & Peters still around?

In regard to the truck, that is a lot of rust for the money. It is certainly still a driver if you do not care about the rust, at a lower price. I remember the rust in that area. My father sprayed the bottom of our cars with oil drained during oil changes. Used a garden pump sprayer (they were metal then, amazing huh ). It really helped keeping the rust at bay. My first car was a 57 Belair, floors completely rusted out. My buddies and I replaced the floors with big signs left by the side of the road on the then non connected 202 bypass. :)

Seems to be maybe the fourth or fifth time I’ve said it this week, get it for as cheap as possible, do a SOA and put lockers in it, and go out and run hard trails with no remorse when you bang up quarter and rocker panels!

Seems to be maybe the fourth or fifth time I’ve said it this week, get it for as cheap as possible, do a SOA and put lockers in it, and go out and run hard trails with no remorse when you bang up quarter and rocker panels!
Cruiser Matt thanks for the reply! I am new to the FJ world. What is a SOA and lockers? Boy am I a nooby!

Cruiser Matt thanks for the reply! I am new to the FJ world. What is a SOA and lockers? Boy am I a nooby!

Search start reading!
You didn’t post any other pictures of the 60 or anything about mechanical condition, but those pictures you did post say trail rig to me.

I was able to find one with zero rust out of Arizona. The sun has done a number on the paint, but it's a waaaay better starting point regardless if you're going to trail it or shine it up and go to cars and coffee.. Oh, and I'll sell it to you if you want :)

Why spend that much when you could get much better for the $$. If you are willing to spend that much I would look at this one.

For Sale - 1989 FJ62 North TX $8000 firm

I bought from a couple states away and it only cost $600 to have it shipped to my door.

FWIW, I paid less than that for my all original 83 with 122k last month. Arizona truck it’s whole life. I’d keep looking if I were you, you’re only a plane ticket and road trip away from having one without rust issues. Getting to drive a 60 home across the beautiful country is half the fun.

F44A2F4B-44A3-460A-9A39-086D7EE5BF1A.jpeg

Last edited:
I was able to find one with zero rust out of Arizona. The sun has done a number on the paint, but it's a waaaay better starting point regardless if you're going to trail it or shine it up and go to cars and coffee.. Oh, and I'll sell it to you if you want :)
Thanks for the reply! I would luv to take alook at your fj. Any pics?

I spent $8500 for my completely rust free bodied extremely light surface rust frame 84 in all original condition with 200k. I flew out to Colorado and drove it home to Vermont and only had to replace a couple small heater hoses on the way. If you read “rust” in the description and the price is over $5k I’d say keep looking. The more rust and that number should be dropping. Unless it just has some fantastic goodies to offset it for some reason.

FWIW, I paid less than that for my all original 83 with 122k last month. Arizona truck it’s whole life. I’d keep looking if I were you, you’re only a plane ticket and road trip away from having one without rust issues. Getting to drive a 60 home across the beautiful country is half the fun.

View attachment 1808586
Blackcat! What a great looking FJ60 and for less than $8500. You are giving me hope. I am going to keep looking. What a great drive that would be back to Pa.

David, mine is SOA with 35's and a Chevy 350/4l60E/steel bumpers/aftermarket front seats/etc..... it's not really in the same category as these original motor/no lift/original bumpers/etc type rigs.

I can send you some pics, but you sure that's even what you want?

I spent $8500 for my completely rust free bodied extremely light surface rust frame 84 in all original condition with 200k. I flew out to Colorado and drove it home to Vermont and only had to replace a couple small heater hoses on the way. If you read “rust” in the description and the price is over $5k I’d say keep looking. The more rust and that number should be dropping. Unless it just has some fantastic goodies to offset it for some reason.
David, mine is SOA with 35's and a Chevy 350/4l60E/steel bumpers/aftermarket front seats/etc..... it's not really in the same category as these original motor/no lift/original bumpers/etc type rigs.

I can send you some pics, but you sure that's even what you want?
Sounds like a great setup! I am partial to the original type of rig. Would still like to take alook if you have some pics. Learning a lot on this thread!

Cool. Figured as much. Good luck with the hunt!

With any truck showing that much body rust, you HAVE to have frame photos and an inspection. If the frame separates while 'wheeling, then a 'bad body' right won't make a 'good wheeling' rig.

At least you know what you are getting yourself into.
Mine was rusty all over but it was all painted over and looked very clean.
All the repair work body cost met €1200 With my help incl. So only a good body worker.

Hi, Get the price down. Find out about the engine compression,ac,etc. Mike

Way too much $ for something with that much rust. Seller is looking at flea-bay.

I didn't see any undercarriage pix, but if the frame is roached in spots you're looking a ton of work and pain finding or fixing a frame.

Unless it's EXTREMELY cheap, PASS !! Frankly, I'd pass even at super cheap unless you're looking for a beater trail rig and the frame is solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom