85 FJ60 sat for two years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 85 land cruiser from a friend of a friend. it ran well two years ago than sat in driveway until I purchased. At first I had to pour gas into carb to make it run it ran till gone. I blew out all the lines to the carb and last night I had fuel running into carb and it was running albeit very very rough. Today I tried again and I had no fuel from the two little spouts on top of carb. I unscrewed the fuel line from the front of the carb and cranked engine and got fuel from line. So i have fuel to the carb but not getting through it. I consider myself somehwat mechanically inclined so I would like to fix it myself I just dont know where to start.
Thanks in advance

oh and Ill get a pic up in the next day or so.

Sounds like the float needle is stuck. Order up a carb kit and rebuild. Or have it sent out to JimC for a rebuild.

I just bought a 85 land cruiser from a friend of a friend. it ran well two years ago than sat in driveway until I purchased. At first I had to pour gas into carb to make it run it ran till gone. I blew out all the lines to the carb and last night I had fuel running into carb and it was running albeit very very rough. Today I tried again and I had no fuel from the two little spouts on top of carb. I unscrewed the fuel line from the front of the carb and cranked engine and got fuel from line. So i have fuel to the carb but not getting through it. I consider myself somehwat mechanically inclined so I would like to fix it myself I just dont know where to start.
Thanks in advance

oh and Ill get a pic up in the next day or so.
We have had two of these abandon FJ 60s come thru with fuel problems. The first one we had to drop and flush the tank. The second one we have not got to yet. John

rebuild the carb, watch pinheads youtube videos, they area great help. I always figured rebuilding one was really difficult, but it was actually not hard at all. made a HUGE difference in how my '83 ran.

On the front of the carburetor, there is a little window. You should be able to see gas in the window, after cranking. Ideally the gas level should be 1/2 or so up the window. If you don't see gas at all through the window, then your float/needle valve could be stuck.

If you do have gas, and you do not get gas squirting out the accelerator jets, then your accelerator pump is dried up and not pumping.

Either of these fixes requires you to take the carburetor apart. So if you feel up to it, purchase a rebuild kit, study up, and have at it. It is not mechanically difficult, but it does take attention to detail. For example, there are two small check balls (ball bearings), but they are different sizes. You need to get the right one back into the right place. Take your time and takes notes or pictures, or do whatever you do to get it back together correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom