FJ60 Seatbelt Planet- Rear retractable seat belts (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
My 85 FJ60 has one rear seat three way harness seat belt. My wife has been insisting I get a better style as it slowly tightens til my daughter can't move. The driver and middle seats are just lap belts. Today I removed the upper shoulder strap bolt and found a threaded bolt and threads inside pillar. I felt the drivers side pillar and feels like another hole is under the upholstery. I've got online and found seat belt planet has rear retractable seat belts for the FJ60 81-84. Steve at seat belt planet said he is working currently on getting a configuration for the 1985 FJ60. Anybody else installed rear retractable seat belts? I've taken some pictures of the bolt and hole with threads in pillar.

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

62 series starting in 89 had read 3 point belts stock. you can use those if you can find them.
as you've found the threaded hole is there already.

a stop-gap measure might be something like this. It will keep the seat belt from getting tighter.

My daughter has a similar complaint with the lap belts on my '85 FJ60. I bought something like this, but keep forgetting to try them out. We just don't use the Land Cruiser that much these days... :frown:

I put 62 belts in my BJ60.

The issue was not the top bolt, but the spot for the retractor, and the interior panels.

I needed to weld a plate to the area, and put in big bolts for the retractor in the side panel.

But it is worth every penny and really needs to get done.

Just head into toyota and order 62 seat belts, more than likely they grey, as it seems to be only colour now days. I also needed the female portion of the seat belt. I'm thinking it was an assembly.

Seatbelt Planet is here in Oklahoma City and @POTATO LAUNCHER stopped by their warehouse to pick up his order. They are incredibly nice and helpful. They took several pictures of the seatbelt connection point of his '84 60 and my '88 62. They are eager to supply the correct brackets for our Cruisers.

If you call them I am confident you will get the answers you need.

Replacement Seat Belt - SeatbeltPlanet | Replacement Seat Belts
(405) 736-0088

I had them re-web stock 62 rear belts and installed them in my 83.

If you have a threaded pillar, you can do it with fronts for whatever year color matches your 60/62 from seatbelt planet.

It does require cutting sheet metal if you want them recessed. As well as creating a cross mount. The seatbelt planet front belts won't come with a bracket for actual front replacement you re-use the OEM bracket.

IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_2026.JPG

To use them in the rear application you would need to fabricate a mount (which could simply be a piece of heavy gauge sheet meta) to allow you to bolt the retractor to the panel.

You can also bolt them to the outside of the panel. I noticed that Icon or TLC did this in a video they did on a build they did.

IMG_6725.PNG

You can also see that done in this thread post #60.

The Rushing Turdle

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Steve at Seatbelt Planet got back to me yesterday and said they now have a rearseat belt which is a 3 point however it’s non retractable. He said they cannot find a location to easily install the retractor. But as I’ve seen from @NookShneer and @roadstr6 this can be done. Steve said exactly what they did. He said the nice thing about his non retractable seatbelts is that they won’t continue to tighten when the kids move like the ones I have now. They are really well priced. I like the retractable option but for ease of install and clean look without bulky retractor sticking out I may go this route.

Nice to hear. This thread inspired me to explore my pillar for the shoulder nut. It’s there. May have to order some of the belts soon.

FYI
Due to regulations I cannot install retractables in my HJ60 tub (European type without grooves for retractors behind the seat). So I purchased the non-retractable 3-point rear non-retractable by cruiserdenmark posted Jun 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM[/GALLERY]seatbelts from seatbeltplanet. Worked out fine, bolted right on. The bolt in the left c-pillar took some force to get in, but the right did not. Took me an hour or two to do it all. The bolts in the bottom were quite hard to get out, rusted a bit on the back (sticking out underneath the body). I was very careful not to force any bolts in a wrong thread. Very satisfied with seatbeltplanet, they gave good advice and sent the belts very fast. A little more safe now.
(Working on the seat covers at the moment so grey back and brown bottom seat :))

AF1QipMZImpoAeDvq-q3rj6bm0DDZg7lLChJUb1aHGkf

Last edited:
Seatbelt Planet is what I’m going to do. Started this thread in January just as the diesel swap was starting and went on the back burner. Should hopefully have my cruiser done in a month so I can hit the slopes safely with the kids.

8DCC4A55-3B3F-41BE-A61E-793BF5A77F3C.jpeg

This is literally what Seatbelt planet needs to do with one of the retractors they sell for the front. You get the retractor, bracket and metal mounting plate. Photo shamelessly taken from @4Cruisers

So.. if you can get a retractor with the correct length and matching shoulder loop to the front. You can fabricate a mounting bracket to work.

Word is that 80 rear retractors will also fit with the same type of modifications.

has anyone installed a 4-point harness to the back instead of installing the 3-point? Seems like it would be more stable to have a 4-point since both the shoulder and lap belt would be bolted to the floor. My kids are happy that I have an FJ60 vs 62....they love only having to use the lap belt (though it does make me a little more nervous).

I’m now thinking of replacing all the seatbelts throughout the cruiser. 33 years of age, I tried the pull test on my front drivers belt and it doesn’t lock... hmmm, does it even work. Really want to get the rear safer and comfortable for the kids.

Reply from Steve @ Seatbelt Planet

Hello Jason,

Thanks for the pictured. The last picture is a retractor with the 2 bottom mounting bolts we out of a Late 88 and 1989 Landcruiser. We are currently in development for this belt.

For 1985-early 88 we have a design where you mount an angle bracket on top of the wheel to mount the retractor. This would not be considered “Vehicle Specific” design due to the fabrication needed. I have sold this design several times.

Give me a call to discuss buckle style options and color.

Thanks,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom