85 FJ60 has spark, fuel pump is pumping, won't START!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All
I used to be on here a lot, I used to restore 60's, it's been almost 3 years. I had a beautiful 5 cruiser collection, sold 4, kept the best one. I've had it in my shop for the past two years, starting and driving on the property periodically to keep everything charged and lubricated. Well 4 months ago it wouldn't start, the gas smelled old, but I didn't get to it until yesterday. I drained all the fuel, changed the filter and pump (pump had a small fuel drip), and it won't start!!? To ensure it was pumping I put a pint of fuel in a clean and dry soda bottle, turned it over 4 or 5 long times and it was gone? But where I ask? Because when I drizzle a little in where the nut goes on top of the carb and it fires right up for a few seconds. I've got spark! Where is all the fuel going??? I know everyone is gong to scream "carb rebuild" like a bunch of teenage girls on the phone. I want a real expert to tell me where the fuel is going. Back when I knew all that I have seeming forgotten I would always warn against messing with the carbs on these things, and make sure it is nothing else first like a vacuum leak, etc.

Help me remember the way of the Cruiser.....why won't IT START!
Thanks
ERICH

Hello All
I used to be on here a lot, I used to restore 60's, it's been almost 3 years. I had a beautiful 5 cruiser collection, sold 4, kept the best one. I've had it in my shop for the past two years, starting and driving on the property periodically to keep everything charged and lubricated. Well 4 months ago it wouldn't start, the gas smelled old, but I didn't get to it until yesterday. I drained all the fuel, changed the filter and pump (pump had a small fuel drip), and it won't start!!? To ensure it was pumping I put a pint of fuel in a clean and dry soda bottle, turned it over 4 or 5 long times and it was gone? But where I ask? Because when I drizzle a little in where the nut goes on top of the carb and it fires right up for a few seconds. I've got spark! Where is all the fuel going??? I know everyone is gong to scream "carb rebuild" like a bunch of teenage girls on the phone. I want a real expert to tell me where the fuel is going. Back when I knew all that I have seeming forgotten I would always warn against messing with the carbs on these things, and make sure it is nothing else first like a vacuum leak, etc.

Help me remember the way of the Cruiser.....why won't IT START!
Thanks
ERICH
ya have no fuel in the float bowl:confused:

Did you put the filter in the correct orientation with the arrow pointing towards the carb ? Might also pull the line from the carb & turn it over to determine if fuel is getting to the carb.

John

Fuel, compression, and properly timed spark. With those things, it has to go.

I agree, does your carb show about 1/2 in the sight window? Is the little screen in the carb inlet blocked? Is your distributer seated wrong and so the timing is way off?

It has to be something easy or you need a carb rebuild.:flipoff2:

i just had that same issue, the truck had been sitting for a long while and the gas was bad, drained it, new filter, had fuel all the way up to the 17mm inlet on the carb... spark, all that trash. rebuilt, and pinesol soaked (works pretty well unless you want to get passages cleaned out). before two days ago the accelerator pump jet going into the barrel was clogged, removed gunk with pin, and at the base of the jets (two screws on side of float bowl then flathead screwdriver into base of jet) -the little pickups were clogged slightly. cleaned those through and shes golden, almost. still working out problems. that's as far as i go. goodluck

Fuel lines are correct, filter oreintation correct, timing same. The sight window could be full,... or empty? After I did all that work I was to irritated I couldn't be bothered to clean the sight window well enough to tell. I think it might have been full or yellowed, what would that mean? And where is all the fuel going?

Thanks for the advice.
ERICH

I Have all the FSM's, just have to dig them out and dust them off. Which one should I look in for trouble shooting this problem. What will it mean if the sight window is empty or full?
Thanks
ERICH

After my 60 sat for awhile, it also would not start. I changed the gas, checked for spark, all seemed fine. I was very frustrated until I noticed that the fuel filter was empty! I took some fuel and began pouring it into the carb a little at a time. It would start for a few seconds then stop, but I noticed that the fuel filter was filling a little every time I did this. I did this enough times that it finally filled the filter and began pumping fuel to the carb. It's worth a shot if you can't tell how much fuel is in the float. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom