85 FJ60 Electrical Issues. Has Power until I try to Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
usacac.army.mil
I have power and can run all electrical until I try to start it and then it dies completely, no electrical power at all. If I leave it alone for a couple hours and come back the electrical works again. I'm thinking it's some relay that's dying out then resetting itself (can it do that). I'm totally stumped at this point.
Any ideas?

do a load test on the battery

I bet new cables would go a long ways to fixing this issue

All of the above and if it that doesnt work maybe you have a starter problem

I've already cleaned off the cables, I'll do the next step and try replacing them. I checked all the wiring going from the battery to the starter and all the way to the relays. I didn't see any breaks, meltdowns or anything and had 12 volts going to the starter when the battery was fully charged. I got to this point when I dropped a ratchet onto the battery. The battery was just sitting on the passenger fenderwell because most of the front of the truck is gone. I was removing the spark plugs and the ratchet slipped out of my hand hit the positive on the battery while the ratchet was still on the spark plug. I don't have a way to load test the battery so I think I'll swap it out. I tried jumping it with no luck but if the battery is bad is hooking another battery to it going to overcome that?

I tried jumping it with no luck but if the battery is bad is hooking another battery to it going to overcome that?

Depends on how bad the battery is. Sometimes if you connect another battery up and let the engine run for 10-20 minutes in the other car it will start.

Or you could just borrow another battery and if it starts easy you know for sure its the battery.

Even if you get the old battery to start the engine ,its a fair bet you will be up for a new battery soon.
They cant be flattened and recharged like the old batteries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom