'85 FJ60 dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELP - here my issue. I threw a rod on my cruiser that has 210k on her. What do you pros recommend? A rebuild / a new v8 conversion / an engine swap? I run her like a daily driver during the winter, she does 200 mile trips skiing every weekend - I want her run!!!!! I am also thinking that doing the H55 5 SPD tranny will help her on the highway.

Again, looking for direction and advice on this one!!!!
Thanks All

image-3306773604.jpg

You have a great looking rig that appears to be pretty close to stock, I'd keep it that way. IMHO, and you'll get many, keep it an FJ60 and explore the rebuild or swapping in a rebuilt/ used motor.

The V8 swap has it's advantages, but you also have many other things to do during that swap to make sure it is done correctly. It all depends on what your intended use is and what you want your final build to look like.

If you have the skills, and assuming the engine can be rebuilt, dive in on the rebuild and know that you built up your "new" motor. You can probably find some mild improvements to do at the same time while you're in there.

The other option if you don't have the skill level is to get a used motor here on Mud, Cruiser Solutions, Cruiserparts.net, etc. and drop it in yourself or have it done professionally.

FWIW I think the H55 would be a great addition and is on my to do list when my rig is worth putting that much $ into.

Keep us posted on your decision and progress. :cheers:

You will find that different people will advise you different avenues so since I'm in the same dilemma and have restored a 40 back to stock I'll give you the pros and cons of both and let you decide.

Pros to keeping it stock.
Direct motor replacement, just pull and replace
Keeps the rig original
You don't have to make anything fit or work

Cons
Costs, unless you find a good donor motor the stock engine is expensive to rebuild
Gas mileage (some will argue this so be prepared)
It's likely at 210,000 miles you will have multiple parts that need replaced or will soon need replaced

Pros of a v8
Power/torque
Efficiency
Reliability (once again be prepared for debate)
Cost , I've been watching eBay recently and have found many vortecs with say 60k miles complete with all accessories and computers for between $600-$1200.

Cons
It's going to be some work to get it done
You will need tranny adapter
If you can't do the work yourself it gonna cost some coin to have a shop do the swap

It's ultimately up to you what you want done and I have posted this same question awhile back and got opinions instead of answers and really got nowhere. If you want a modern drivetrain and don't mind the work or shop costs then put a vortec in it. It your short on funds and want a quick simple replacement then find a good rebuilt or low mile stock motor

Engine

You will find that different people will advise you different avenues so since I'm in the same dilemma and have restored a 40 back to stock I'll give you the pros and cons of both and let you decide.

Pros to keeping it stock.
Direct motor replacement, just pull and replace
Keeps the rig original
You don't have to make anything fit or work

Cons
Costs, unless you find a good donor motor the stock engine is expensive to rebuild
Gas mileage (some will argue this so be prepared)
It's likely at 210,000 miles you will have multiple parts that need replaced or will soon need replaced

Pros of a v8
Power/torque
Efficiency
Reliability (once again be prepared for debate)
Cost , I've been watching eBay recently and have found many vortecs with say 60k miles complete with all accessories and computers for between $600-$1200.

Cons
It's going to be some work to get it done
You will need tranny adapter
If you can't do the work yourself it gonna cost some coin to have a shop do the swap

It's ultimately up to you what you want done and I have posted this same question awhile back and got opinions instead of answers and really got nowhere. If you want a modern drivetrain and don't mind the work or shop costs then put a vortec in it. It your short on funds and want a quick simple replacement then find a good rebuilt or low mile stock motor

ive been thinking agout this for a while, mine is a rust free 85 with 200k on the clock and really just needs paint to be almost pristine looking like yours, but the engine has had a low end knock for quite some time. I think i have decieded to rebuild the stock engine when the time comes for alot of the reasons listed above, the stock motor does fine around here, i dont expect to drive 75 mph everywhere and really like the I-6 ...fuel mileage will never be good in a vehicle shaped like a brick . i have had rigs with engine and drive train swaps in the past and just prefer to keep my 60 reliable and Toyota

If your driving 800 miles a month with a 4spd I would defiantly consider a v8/auto swap or at a minimum a 5 speed. You can buy a 5.3v8/4l60e and adapter as mentioned above for around 2k. It will cost you another 2-3k in parts to get in if you do the work yourself. Which would be about the same cost as rebuilding your 2f and buying a 5spd. If you pay someone for a swap I would expect between 10-15k.

If you just want it to run just find a used 2f and drop it back in. That would be by far the cheapest option. I gave away a 2f with 150k miles a few years ago. You can defiantly find one under 500$.

Personally I have a Fuel injected 5.7 and 4l60e. My cruiser is SOA on 35s and it will return 17mpg on the highway at 70 and 13.5 around town even with the 6" of lift. I didn't really care about mileage when I swapped but it was a pleasant surprise. I was getting 10-11 at 70 before. Even at 80-85 on the freeway it will get 15+ With a 5.3 and your setup I wouldn't doubt 18-19 at 70.

Very nice Cruiser!

If she's all stock under the hood it would be so much easier to keep her that way. You can be driving again in a week if you put in a used 2F long block.

At sea level, I've found 2F performance is pretty fair. Others have said, and I agree, that swapping to a V8 for gas mileage is a losing proposition. It isn't enough better to pay for itself in savings. Swapping for power is a different argument. I don't need it (and I've hauled campers, boats, horses, and other Cruisers with my 60) but other Mudder's love the extra horses.

The parts manager at the Toyota dealer in Manchester, NH is a Cruiser guy too and sometimes allows discounts on Cruiser parts. Tax free in NH and no shipping. If you go for a H55 it would be worth the drive for parts.

At 200k you're probably due for several other maintenance items, if you haven't done them already. I've found that steering components tend to loosen up by then and, if you're changing transmissions, you'll want to rebuild the transfer case.

You're at a bit of a Rubicon on whether to financially commit to keeping you're Cruiser for a long time. Good luck.

It's kinda sad that you drive a seemingly rust free cruiser as a winter beater/ski mobile...

Zack

sorry to bother but I was going to say the same thing zack1978 said: I woudn't drive that clean cruiser in Winter...

well back to the theme I would suggest a vortec but if you only drive it on Winter which I woudn't haha I'd say to stay at the Toyota side and find one used or rebuild yours... but like someone said before a 2f rebuild woould not be cheap and that's why I lean to the vortec...

@Zach1978 et al - she certainly is not a beater - it's all how you treat her and keep her!!!!

@Zach1978 et al - she certainly is not a beater - it's all how you treat her and keep her!!!!

+1000

Use it... that's what they are for. Cant believe anyone would buy a Toyota Landcruiser and be afraid to use it in harsh conditions.

If you are committed to the FJ 60 for the long term, my vote would be for a Turbo Diesel, with a gasoline V8 as a second choice (that's what I did). At least for the driving I do (mountains), the stock engine was just not hacking it. The H55 F was pretty much worthless because I could rarely get going fast enough to use it. If you spend more time in the urban/flatland areas, that may not be as important to you. I would tend to think that if you have the vehicle for overlanding/traveling, that you will see that lack of power as a limitation sooner or later, if not in your daily driving experiences.

X2
I am in the same boat with the thrown rod bearing, but I already have a 3FE and all the goodies for the swap but if I didn't have this set up already I would go the diesel route, then you keep it Toyota and the H55 bolts up
Good luck in the decision and nice looking rig

The whole diesel thing is cool and all but honestly you have to be very committed and be a diesel addict to consider going that route. They are loud, quite a bit more involved than a simple v8 swap and then there is serious grey area in a lot of states if you will ever be able to get it legal. They will also cost you about twice as much as a vortec swap. If you read the threads on this site it will quickly be apparent that swapping a diesel is a labor of love and a constant work in progress as the owners get them running how they like.

I like diesels and if tinkering is something you enjoy defiantly a worthy project. Personally I just wanted my 60 to go fast and run for the next 150k miles without messing with a thing. The v8 was the ticket. The mpgs were a nice bonus.

Thanks all for the pearls of wisdom and insight. I went to Man-a-Fre and got a Hi Performance Rebuilt engine and an H55 transmission. I'll get some picks when she is done but as far as i can see - we are going to be almost a new ride!!! Thanks again!

While I commend your choice on the 2F and H55F and keeping it stock...you found about the most expensive way of going about it...

I dare say you could have done the same thing for half the money you just dropped at MAF.

It's gonna be great though.

Cheers:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom